Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wiring a Thermador Hood

Posted by shadowfaxy (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 4, 10 at 11:34

Remodeling my kitchen and bought a used Thermador 48" hood with a VTN600q dual blower, to go over my 48" rangetop. There is no model number I can find on the hood but believe its around 10yrs old. Its in great shape.
I need to wire it and wanted to run a dedicated 3 wire circuit from the mains, however the hood has 4 wires, white, black, green,red. I bench tested the hood connecting to 110 V AC using only 3 wires, (not using the RED), all functions worked perfectly, (two lights with hi and low option, two heat lamps and a variable speed knob on the big blower). Not sure what the red wire is for? Perhaps a remote blower set up? I hate to wire anything and have a spare wire hanging out there. Do I need to wire this differently that I am thinking? What am I missing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wiring a Thermador Hood

just a suggestion, install a receptacle and cord and plug on the hood. for added protection, i used a 20a gfi.

o

If you can't find a manual for at least a similar unit (have you searched the web?), there are really only two ways I can see to proceed.

One is to dismantle the unit and trace its circuit.

The other, less precise method is to connect a small lamp to the red wire and experiment with various switch combinations on the unit to see under what conditions (if any) it becomes hot. This *may* give you some ideas of what its purpose is.

My first thought was that the red wire might be for remote switching of some function. But that is a wild, wild guess. Maybe someone else here is more familiar with that particular unit.

Good luck.

o

Go to Thermador's website and see if you can find a similar model. They have manuals online. I looked at a few, but didn't see any that included a red wire connecting to the house wiring. If you can e-mail a photo of it to Thermador, maybe they can send you a manual. I would not just ignore the red wire, as tempting as that may be.

o

"just a suggestion, install a receptacle and cord and plug on the hood. for added protection, i used a 20a gfi."

These hoods are NOT intended as cord an plug connected loads, but are designed to be hardwired.

There is no reason (and in many cases no way) to cord and plug connect them.

There are also branch circuit restrictions for the equipment.
The cable feeding them comes directly into a built in JB, and in many of them a hole must be cut in the mounting surface to clear the cable clamp on the back of the unit.

o

the receptacle is in the cabinet above. the range hood has 12/3 sjoow running into the hubbell hbl5266c. the cord runs up through a hole cut in the bottom of the cabinet.

o

"the receptacle is in the cabinet above. the range hood has 12/3 sjoow running into the hubbell hbl5266c. the cord runs up through a hole cut in the bottom of the cabinet."

Sounds like a more 'decorative' than functional hood.

The larger hoods all have a cable entry in the wall they are mounted onto.
There is no clearance for a cord between the back of the hood and the wall.

I actually much prefer the remote blower hoods.
Instead of having a pressurized duct full of greasy air the duct is on the suction side.
Things only leak in.

o

brick, there is a k/o in the back, as well as a k/o in the top.

o

Thanks to all for the guidance, it is appreciated. I did look through the Thermador site, they have on-line manuals as one suggested, but could not find my unit, (I am thinking it might be older than they have on line?)
I also e-mailed the Thermador "Contact Us" address and they responded immediately, but needed the Model number which is no where to be found? I asked where I should look for it, but unless it's inside some area I need to dismantle, there is really no place for it to hide?
There are knock out options on top and on the back of the unit. I am not mounting this unit under a cabinet, so plenty of room and clearance on top. It requires an 8" duct which will be hidden by a 48 wide "extension?" unit that came with the hood, that takes it almost all the way to the ceiling.
Still hoping someone has a specific answer, otherwise I will try the testing of the red wire as David R suggests. I agree with hrajotte, do not want to just igore the red? - Yet

o

The red wire may be for lights only, without the fan.

o

try connecting it using red, white and green.

o

"brick, there is a k/o in the back, as well as a k/o in the top."

Still a complete waste of time and effort to cord and plug them, and they do NOT require GFCI protection.

o

the cord and plug allows, if removed, a quick installation of an over the range microwave. i also use the rec for my uc lights. the gfi was just voluntary.

o

"the cord and plug allows, if removed, a quick installation of an over the range microwave."

No one with a real hood is going to switch to one of the (nearly) useless microwave hoods.

They can hardly move enough air to do anything.

It would be no more trouble to add a receptacle at a later date when it was actually needed than to install a range hodd contrary to its instructions (an NEC code violation).

o

read the bottom of the last page

Here is a link that might be useful: something on hood

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here