Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Field Flashing a Portable Generator

Posted by g-mann (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 27, 09 at 11:02

I have a Generac MC5500 portable generator. The engine started but now no power. It sat about 2 years since last used, however it did work that last time. So I figured it needs to be flashed to get it working again. I have searched the web and found different ways in which to do so. Everything from using a corded drill pluged into the A.C. outlet of the generator, spinning the chuck by hand and thus sending a small current backfed into the generator, exciting the stator and or rotor to re-energize the unit, therefore the drill will start running from power off the generator. Others mention using 12vdc into the outlet (generator not running) pulling the cord with the switch off so it does not start 2-5 pulls. turn the switch on, start the unit and then having it work again. Another method was using 120vac off a house outlet in series with 3 60 watt light bulbs and plugging the 120vac into the generators 120ac outlet while the generator was running that they said would work. The thing I need to know is that my generator is equiped with voltage regulation to run sensitive electronics such as TV's Radios and etc. I am uncertain about the above mentioned ways in which to do so for fear of dammaging the generator. Does anyone know how to go about getting my generator flashed. I thought about comming here, and asking the experts before I did anything. And by the way. I called a couple of businesses that repair electric motors and hand tools and said that they could do it while I wait and charge me $18.00-$21.00 dollars to do it. For that time and price, cannot be that much to it. And more than likely can do it myself. Comments and answers on this subject please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Field Flashing a Portable Generator

I have used the hand drill method a few times. That is probably the method with the least chance of damage.

o

So your telling me your to cheap to spend $21.00 to get your generator fixed and want a free fix over the internet ? The Generac is not the best unit out there, It's not junk but close. Spend the money.

o

kalining - Why not use the internet to learn how to perform a simple task such as flashing a generator? Your post sounds a lot like a disgruntled repairman seeing that easy $21 slipping out of his hands.

o

wayne440: Thanks for your information on flashing a generator. Used your advice and worked like a charm!! Now have a working generator. Even saved me $21.00. Thanks again.

o

Not a disgruntled repair man. Been in the electrical trade
for many years building and repairing gensets. Unless the
power block has been taken apart, banged, or moved with a great jaring force the gen will NEVER loose it's static magnetisum. That unit is self exciting. You may
want to find out why it quit. There is something wrong. The Generac is ok for what it does when it works. They are
good for keeping your lights on but i don't recommend them
for anything else. Just an input from someone that works on
gensets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here