Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
g_mann

Field Flashing a Portable Generator

g-mann
14 years ago

I have a Generac MC5500 portable generator. The engine started but now no power. It sat about 2 years since last used, however it did work that last time. So I figured it needs to be flashed to get it working again. I have searched the web and found different ways in which to do so. Everything from using a corded drill pluged into the A.C. outlet of the generator, spinning the chuck by hand and thus sending a small current backfed into the generator, exciting the stator and or rotor to re-energize the unit, therefore the drill will start running from power off the generator. Others mention using 12vdc into the outlet (generator not running) pulling the cord with the switch off so it does not start 2-5 pulls. turn the switch on, start the unit and then having it work again. Another method was using 120vac off a house outlet in series with 3 60 watt light bulbs and plugging the 120vac into the generators 120ac outlet while the generator was running that they said would work. The thing I need to know is that my generator is equiped with voltage regulation to run sensitive electronics such as TV's Radios and etc. I am uncertain about the above mentioned ways in which to do so for fear of dammaging the generator. Does anyone know how to go about getting my generator flashed. I thought about comming here, and asking the experts before I did anything. And by the way. I called a couple of businesses that repair electric motors and hand tools and said that they could do it while I wait and charge me $18.00-$21.00 dollars to do it. For that time and price, cannot be that much to it. And more than likely can do it myself. Comments and answers on this subject please.

Comments (5)