Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to replace all wiring due to Sandy

Posted by anyah (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 10:32

Can you tell me if $5,000 is a reasonable bid to replace all wiring in a 1000square foot house following a flood? Are there other electrical issues I should be concerned about?Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to replace all wiring due to Sandy

Imossible to tell. Get multiple estimates and REFERENCES.

o

It is impossible for us to provide estimates but as Ron suggested, get multiple estimates and references. Once you've settled on a contractor you'll want to make sure he is licensed (both as an electrician by whatever authority licenses electricians in your locale and has a business license in your state/municipality as required), bonded, and has the appropriate insurance. I would make sure he pulls the appropriate permits as well.

o

In South LA after Katrina, lots of requirements were relaxed to speed things up. I don't know if it was a good thing or not.

It may be nearly impossible to get one estimate let alone multiple.

o

In which case you were likely screwed.
Sounds like he got one estimate, if he can get one he can get two.

o

The labor to test salt water submerged wiring often swamps the replacement cost.

o

Well, I might have been screwed, but not by an electrician in that flooded house. It is still gutted and empty.

o

I agree with mike kaiser that you should get multiple estimates and references for you to get the most affordable one and most importantly get a contractor that will meet all the requirements of a licensed electrician so the works will be guaranteed.

Here is a link that might be useful: woertz

o

The estimate I have is from a fully licensed and insured electician. I am only calling contractors who are registered with and licensed by the State of NJ. I don't want to deal with a contractor who can't be bothered to maintain a registration, license, and insurance. However, getting another estimate has not been easy.
I found the point about the cost of testing the system interesting. I guess that is why the adjuster said all of the wiring should just be replaced.

thanks all for your input, and my condolences to Ionized for Katrina losses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here