Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Connecting a cable light system to a track light system

Posted by Megabyzus (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 10:28

Summary Question:

Can a cable track light system use a line voltage track system as a power source?

Power:
Cable Light System: 4 x LEDs @ 6.7 watts. 1 100W transformer.
Track Light System: 5 x LEDs @ 6.7 watts. Line voltage (120V).

Details:

I am planning to install a cable track system (one of those with two parallel cables and light suspended from them). However, the electrical box is across the room on the top of the wall about 11 ft away. Also my ceiling as solid concrete and inaccessible for wiring.

So instead of drawing some kludge wire to the cable light system, I'm planning to add a line voltage track light system across the room and connect the end to power the cable system 100W transformer.

Am I correct to assume, since I am using low watt LEDs across the board, the cable light system will have sufficient power from the line voltage track and will be safe?

Any thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated!

Mo

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/lighting-light-fixtures-ceiling-exhaust-fans/510830-connecting-cable-light-system-track-light-system.html#ixzz2kuv5Tn00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Connecting a cable light system to a track light system

They make track lighting fixtures that provide a regular 15A receptacle. As long as you don't exceed the rating of the track (should be listed somewhere in the instructions) it should be OK (I assume your cable lights are designed to be plugged in).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here