Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
totosplants

Electrical inspector nightmare

totosplants
13 years ago

First of all, please excuse my complete luck of knowledge of terminology and a typical female way I will try to explain the problem.

We are doing major kitchen remodeling, using lisenced professional contractors. But the town electrical inspector is a huge PITA. He said that he will NOT allowed any inside cabinets lighting to be hard wired inside the walls! So we must have outlets and plug lights INside the cabinet! I have never heard anything as ridiculous as this. Same issue with undercabinet lights. He demanded to have separate box for each undercabinet light with the wire going into it! Not a plug, but still an ugly box with black rubber center and wire coming in. In my supposedly beautiful tiles backsplash!

His reasoning is that all inside and undercabinets lights are hardwired and manufactured the way they can not be wired inside the walls!

Anybody please HELP! What should we do??? Any solutions (except killing inspector please).

Comments (9)

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

Ask for a code citation and who his boss is.

If he is saying the leads from the lights cannot be concealed he is correct.

All concealed wiring must be an NEC approved method.

The typical method is to use less stringent low voltage wiring methods that are left UNconcealed on the bottom of the cabinets.

• pharkus
    13 years ago

Note to self: Future product idea - cabinets, with built-in lights, manufactured specifically to be hardwired.

• groundrod
    13 years ago

There are a great number of undercabinet lights that are manufactured to be hardwired. (they don't come with any cords or plugs attached) Your inspector is correct if you are cutting off plugs to hardwire the lights. If you are using lisenced electricians, they should know how to deal with the inspector. It is part of their job. You have to know what you are talking about code wise to try and convince the inspector, and if that doesn't work you have to go to their boss and or appeal their decision to the appeals board. The appeals board process should take no longer than two weeks according to code rules. There again good electricians should be aware of this. I do many kitchens where 14/2 is pulled through the sheetrock right below the bottom of the cabinet and run along the bottom of the cabinet and into fixtures that are made for hardwiring. There are some tricks of the trade used to keep these installations legal. There are less than knowledgeable inspectors and electricians and I don't know which may be your problem. Someone is in need of some learning.
    Good Luck
    Groundrod

• joed
    13 years ago

The inspector is correct about the under cabinet light not being plug in. All receptacles in the counter area are to be small apppliance circuits. Lights are not permitted on these circuits. Therefore no plug in lights under the cabinets

I'm not sure what you are trying to do with the IN cabinet lighting. You say hardwired inside walls. I can tell you that ALL splices must be in boxes that are accessible. You can not bury a splice inside a wall.

These are the rules. They are basic kitchen code rules. Your electrician should know these.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"The inspector is correct about the under cabinet light not being plug in. All receptacles in the counter area are to be small apppliance circuits."

Half correct.

The lights may not be on the small appliance branch circuits serving the counters.
    The typical dodge is to put the receptacles inside the cabinets, then run any cords to plug in exposed on the bottom of the cabinet, and then into the cabinet and plug them in there.
    The receptacles must NOT be on the counter (small appliance) branch circuits.
    A separate circuit is required (though it can be shared with other loads like lighting).

• dalepres
    13 years ago

So if I, joe-home-owner, go to Wally world and buy an under counter fluorescent light fixture with a 120V plug on it, and I plug it into the over-the-counter outlet box, I have violated NEC?

• joed
    13 years ago

yes you have

• fixizin
    13 years ago

Well, in all the fancy magazines, it is exactly as the OP wants it, with nothing messing up the backsplash. I agree, ask for the EXACT NEC citation, "chapter and verse", which supposedly prohibits this.

Secondly, pester contractor for actual photos of his past installs... better late than never. ;')

I do many kitchens where 14/2 is pulled through the sheetrock right below the bottom of the cabinet and run along the bottom of the cabinet and into fixtures that are made for hardwiring. There are some tricks of the trade used to keep these installations legal.

This suggests some kind of slick/sleek bushing/clamp for passing through the sheetrock... do tell, do tell. ;')

• newgarageguy
    13 years ago

I would have your electrician request a consult with the inspector. Layout all the pieces, see what the inspector advises. If that doesn't work get another electrician, one that has had experience in your area with highend kitchen lighting.