Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thomas1975_gw

Transfer switch vs. interlock

thomas1975
11 years ago

Hi. I'm looking to get a Generac 7500 (or something similar) and am getting completely different answers from different electricians (at about a 50-50 split). I've had 2 over for estimates with 2 more coming this week, and have spoken/emailed with several others.

Some of them recommend an interlock saying it's much easier and I can use my entire existing panel (of course making sure not to switch on things like central a/c, etc.) and not have to worry about only selecting certain circuits that would go on a transfer switch, but others say don't go with the interlock because it's too risky that someone might flip the central a/c, and it's therefor much safer to have a 30-amp 10 outlet transfer switch, which will be able to power pretty much everything we need w/o worrying about what we can/can't switch on with the interlock. I was also told by a large generator retailer that "An interlock kit does not meet NFPA 37 or NFPA 70 for proper connection of generators to residential electrical systems."

So I'm leaning towards the transfer switch but am curious why several (highly rated on Angie's List) electricians are pushing the interlock.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments (9)