Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slc2053_gw

Putting dimmer on ceiling fan light? Can I do this?

slc2053
16 years ago

We have a ceiling fan with a light in our dining room. We have only one wall switch controlling power to it. We typically switch it on to turn on the light, and walk over to the fan to turn the fan on, meaning the light on the fixture is always "on" and we control it from the switch. If we want to run the fan without the light or the light without the fan, we turn one of them off at the fixture.

Now, is there anyway to add a dimmer to the light only?

Comments (16)

• randy427
    16 years ago

You need to get power to the fan motor without it going first through the dimmer.

If, when you look in the switch's work box, there are only one black and one white insulated wire, you can do some wiring changes at the ceiling box for the dimmer to control only the light and the chain to control the fan.
    [If so, post back a description of how the ceiling box is wired.]

If there are two black and two white insulated wires, and the two black are connected to the switch, then you cannot install a dimmer without running additional cable.

If there is any other configuration in the switch box, post back a description.

• cobraguy
    16 years ago

If you find you don't have the wiring configuration you need, and you don't want to properly wire it, then consider using wireless remote control. These control systems will allow you to do exactly what you want when you don't have the necessary circuits available to hardwire the functions separately. I have these on my outdoor patio fans. The control switch mounts in a box just like a normal wired switch would. One switch controls both fans. (two separate receivers on the same frequency) Switch is inside, fans outside. Works perfectly.

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

yep, easiest way is the wireless remote system.

ronnatalie, you can put a dimmer on some fans. my parents house has one onthe fan inteh den. no light on the fan, the dimmer controls the speed of the fan itself. i forget the brand, but it does not even have a pull cord switch made into it. it was sold to use on a dimmer to control the fan speed.

• Ron Natalie
    16 years ago

That's a FAN SPEED control, not a lighting "dimmer".

• hendricus
    16 years ago

That's a FAN SPEED control, not a lighting "dimmer".

What's the difference, if I may ask, without getting blown out of the water.

• groundrod
    16 years ago

There are many combination dimmer / speed controls available that will do the job with the existing one switch control. They come as remotes that are portable or in controls that replace the existing switch. Check box stores or fan dealers.

• slc2053
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ronnatalie...so I only need to look at the wires at the switch to determine my options? I don't have to take the fan down first? Good...I will look at the switch tonight.

If I find I have two blacks and two whites and the two blacks are connected to the switch, then my easiest option is to go the route of a remote control? Yes?

If, however I find that at the switch I have only one black and one white, then I will take the fan down and see what kind of set up I have, then I will post back here with a description of it and post a photo as well.

cobraguy...thanks for the remote option...we wondered about but hadn't explored it yet as an option...

We're going to take a look tonight...thanks!

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

nope, it was a regular dimmer. it may hav esupposed ot been a fan speed control, but the orignal one and the one i replaced it with when someone broke the shaft were both regular old dimmers.

• tjfitzgerald
    9 years ago

Honeywell makes a remote control for a ceiling fan which has variable speed for the fan and dimming for the lights as well. In addition, it has a setting that will turn the lights off on a delay (so you have light while you leave the room) and another feature to randomize the lighting of the ceiling light so that anyone casing you hour home might be misled into thinking someone is home. The models that I've looked at are the honeywell 40013 (backlit touch screen remote) and 40012 (physical buttons) and the prices range from 29.95+ on the 40012 and 39.98 on the 40013 (@ Lowes, which is lower than at the Honeywellstore.com site).

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeywell Ceiling Fan Remote with Lighting Dimmer

• Jose N
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I would install a ceiling fan remote. You can get them so that there is wall (in box) control, a handheld control or both. This would give you full control over the light dimmer and the fan speed without ever having to pull a chain again. You can follow easy step by step instruction here: How to Install a Ceiling Fan Remote

https://extremediy.org/add-remote-ceiling-fan/

• mtvhike
    5 years ago

I had my bedrooms wired for ceiling fans, two switched lines per fan. When I installed my desired fan, I found that I couldn't wire it that way; it had to be remotely controlled. This seems to be true for the more efficient, DC motor fans. So I now use the remote to adjust the fan speed and direction and the light. Then turn it on and off with one of the switches.

• DavidR
    5 years ago

IMO if the fan can be hard wired to a switch, that's the way to go. I've seen too many remote receivers fail. Even fan speed controls seem to last longer than remotes, and if/when they do finally quit, they're easier to replace.

• HU-906424415
    2 years ago

I have a ceiling fan w/light also controlled by a circular pushbutton knob which controls the fan speed and dimmer for the fan, with a conventional flip on/off switch for the kitchen ceiling lights. This switch failed, and I need a replacement but can't find one?

• mtvhike
    2 years ago

Does the failed switch control both the kitchen ceiling lights and a light in the fan? Or are the ceiling lights totally separate? A picture would help.

• Avii. Lo
    6 months ago

Wireless is the way to go. I found this guy at HD. It works with only one switch leg and allows you lower the fan speed and dim the lightig.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hunter-Universal-Damp-Rated-Ceiling-Fan-Wall-Remote-Control-White-99393/313862621

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions