Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new receptacles are crooked!!

Posted by hairmetal4ever (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 12, 09 at 9:24

I installed new GFCI receptacles in my kitchen as well as one "standard" outlet. While they work just fine and are mechanically correct, I can't get them to "line up" in the box, they are all tilted to one side or the other.

I even unscrewed them and tried again - it almost feels that, especially for the GFCI, that they take up so much room in the box that they don't quite fit...but even the standard ones are crooked.

Is there a "trick" to doing this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new receptacles are crooked!!

i take it you replaced old ones, correct? if so were they straight? if they were then you are simply not getting them adjusted correctly. both the top and bottom screw holes are slotted to allow for adjustment, you just need to get them straight.

o

The box may not be sized for the number and sizes of the wires in it so it can be difficult to get everything to fit.

o

1. No matter how tight I make the screws, they slide into a crooked position. Yes I replaced old ones that were not crooked.

2. Haven't added any wires...but it's possible the receptable itself is too big.

o

"1. No matter how tight I make the screws, they slide into a crooked position. Yes I replaced old ones that were not crooked."

#12 wire and a GFCI receptacle in a shallow box can be a real PITA.

Turn off the circuit, pull the GFCI out, and make sure there are some bends in the wires going to the device.

It may take you a few tries to pack the wires so that the device will stay aligned, but it can be done.

o

I agree, some take a little work but you can do it. I think the trick would be to add the bends as Brickeyee mentions. Sometimes, the tension from the wire pulls from one side or the other. If that's the case, manually turn the receptacle until it appears straight, make sure the wire is looped so it will fold into the box as you push the receptacle in and tighten it.

o

I've had some receptacles that just seemed to pull themselves crooked when I tightened up the screws. I found that it helped to hold the receptacle in correct alignment with a pair of needlenose pliers while I tightened the screws. The pliers give a little more resistance to the receptacle torquing than you can provide with just your hand holding the receptacle.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here