Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
famdog

noob wiring question

famdog
13 years ago

So I have a duplex in my dining room that looks like this:

http://gallery.me.com/dougbartow/100016/My%20Photo/web.jpg?ver=12904316370001

It's behind a faux fireplace that I'm installing. I want to install a duplex and outlet in the outside surround of the fireplace shell, wired from this existing duplex location, removing the duplex in the process.

My plan: kill the power and run a new wire from this duplex location to the new outlet in the surround, installing a blank plate over the existing wall duplex with a hole drilled out of the center to hold the new romex.

Q: Can I simply twist together the 2 black hot leads (in the pic) with the new hot from the new romex in a single wire nut, and do the same for the white and gray? Obviously I'll extend the copper ground as well.

I told you it was a noob question.

thx.

Comments (8)

• joed
    13 years ago

Will there be an access panel? You can not bury the old receptacle/junction box behind a wall.

• pharkus
    13 years ago

or a fireplace either, for that matter.

• bob22elec
    13 years ago

Could this be considered accessible since the box will be in the fireplace area; not really hidden (like junction boxes above a suspended ceiling)?

• pharkus
    13 years ago

UHHH... ALERT?!

I'm seeing two proposed options:

1- the back of the fireplace is between the fire and the box. The box is hidden. Can't hide boxes.

2- the box is in the fire.

I think a good way to start an electrical fire... is to put an electrical box IN fire.

I sincerely hope I misunderstood something somewhere!

• famdog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's a faux fireplace.

The outlet would be covered with a plate and could easily accessed by simply removing the fireplace shell (couple of screws). The existing box will be behind the plywood back of the faux fireplace surround, but there's a 3" gap, it won't be touching anything nor be inaccessible.

I'd really like to know if the wiring I proposed is correct.

• joed
    13 years ago

If the plywood back can be easily removed to access the old box then it is acceptable. If the plywood is being permanently nailed in place then it is not acceptacble.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"If the plywood back can be easily removed to access the old box then it is acceptable."

Access must be available by removing screws (no nails).

You can make an access panel in the back of the cabinet for the old box.

• terribletom
    13 years ago

"My plan: kill the power and run a new wire from this duplex location to the new outlet in the surround, installing a blank plate over the existing wall duplex with a hole drilled out of the center to hold the new romex."

If you do decide to go this route (and can keep the junction box accessible), instead of getting a blank cover and drilling a hole in it, get a cover with a knockout in the center and install a romex clamp.

The link below shows a cover that costs about a buck at a hardware store. This'd still not be the tidiest of wiring jobs (IMO) but it'd beat a wire poked through a hole with rough edges.

Here is a link that might be useful: