Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlark_gw

Unexplained voltage drop in residential circuit

tlark
14 years ago

IÂm having a strange electrical problem that I just canÂt figure out and IÂm about out of ideas. I recently moved into a rented home. In the master bedroom, my clock radio gets reset every time I turn on the closet light. So I started investigating, using a digital volt meter the outlet at the clock radio showed 120 volts. When I turned on the closet light the voltage dropped to about 70v, and slowly came back to about 100v.

The house is 30 years old. I am not an electrician but I know enough to replace a circuit breaker which is what I did for this circuit. The problem remains although the symptoms have improved a little. Instead of dropping to 70v it now drops to about 95v.

There are four outlets in the room which are all on the same circuit. I have an outlet tester and they all tested good. Oddly, the first outlet near the bedroom door does not have the problem I described. But the other three do. The second a load is put on the circuit there is this unusual drop in voltage. I have tested this with different lamps so I know it isnÂt the closet light. And I removed all the receptacles and inspected the wiring for looseness or other basic problems.

Any ideas on what would cause this? How concerned should I be? Should I replace all the receptacles even though they seem to be fine?

Comments (7)