Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pharkus

Main lugs AND main breaker?

pharkus
13 years ago

Suppose I wanted to add a second panel, just for more spaces, to comply with my "circuit assignment OCD", directly next to an existing panel, wanted to stay with only one service disconnect, and didn't want to install the second as a subpanel...

The first panel has a 100A main breaker. It is a model which shipped in two versions: one with breaker, one with lugs. The main breaker assembly bolts onto the bars.

Is there an approved method where I could add lugs at the point where the main breaker meets the bus, and attach the second panel to those lugs?

It's a hypothetical question at this point - I already abandoned the idea and managed to consolidate everything into one panel (I had to give up a couple bits of OCD and use some tandems, but it's all in there), but I'd still like to know the answer to this.

Comments (10)

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

I don't understand how your hypothetical arrangement results in only one service disconnect. If you could somehow tee the service into two main panels, you'd still need main breakers in both. (Up to the six throws). They'd have to be collocated in the same bank of panel boards.

• wayne440
    13 years ago

If your "second panel" is connected to the load side of the 100A main, it is still a subpanel. The fact that it feeds via the main only does not change that (in my community). I recently installed a small 200A panel that was furnished with feed thru lugs on the bottom of the bus bars, that panel might have been usable in your situation. I have never seen lugs added to the top of a panel downstream of the main, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

Feed through panels are available with top and bottom lugs.

They are used in commercial work routinely.

They are normally both sub-panels with no main breaker present (the actual feed for them protects the panel feeds and the panels.).

They do not see a lot of use in residential since feeding sub-panels in series is not usually required.

• pharkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alright, so technically it's still a subpanel... wayne's got what I'm after, I think.

I want panel A to have the sole main breaker. Meter base goes to its terminals, other side is bolted to the bus. At that spot, AFTER the main breaker, right where it's bolted, a set of lugs is added, feeding panel B, a main-lug panel. The two are to be located directly next to each other.

"feed thru lugs", yep, that would solve the problem just as well...

• pharkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

wow. brickeyee must have been writing his reply at the same time I was, because I missed his, which is pretty much what I was looking for.

• smithy123
    13 years ago

I have an old ge feed through panel that i ripped out of my scout building.

• pharkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

model/series info, smithy?

Send me an email via the profile link . . .

• smithy123
    13 years ago

it was fuses, and it is stashed in my garage. i'll look tomorrow.

• pharkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh... h'mmm... yeah, feedthroughs on fuse panels were quite common. Often labeled "subpanel", like the manufacturer knew when they made it, "ten years from now, there's NO WAY this sucker is gonna have enough circuits!"

• smithy123
    13 years ago

Thai is exactly what it was.
    100 amp surface mount type model 4
    N.P.209669A