Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dyi_cal

Junction Box vs Subpanel

dyi_cal
17 years ago

I am running 220v service from a 200 amp metered load center on a power pole 220 feet to a 100 amp Manufactured home pad. I will be using 3 wires ( ok per local building code but need to ground at the pad). I will be running underground thru PVC conduit. My questions is can I terminate the feed in a junction box (supported by a post) at the pad or do I need a subpanel. If I use a subpanel, the will be 3 100amp breakers used (main panel, subpanel and Manufactured home panel). If I use a junction box, the installer can go from the junction box to the Manufactured home panel. Thanks for your advice.

Comments (5)

• kurto
    17 years ago

I'm just a DIYer, but I would put a disconnect on the pole at the pad, rather than a sub-panel or just a plain junction box. If nothing else, it would give you a place to connect your two ground rods.

I'm sure one of the real electricians will comment.

• brickeyee
    17 years ago

If there is a disconnect at eh pole it need overcurrent protection. Just a switch is not acceptable.
    Every panel after the pole is a sub-panel.
    You need to run 4 wires to the various sub-panels.
    The 'farmer disconnect' of a switch with no overcurrent protection may be acceptable in your area, but the number of these ares continues to shrink.

• dyi_cal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just thought I would document how this wiring job ended up. Used 4" conduit from main pole to subpanel on post within 5 ft of Manufactured home. 125a breaker in main box and 100a in subpanel. Pulled 4 wires - (3) 1/0 THHN for power and neutral and (1) #4 THHN for ground. The manufactured home setup crew then wired from the 100a breaker in the subpanel to the 100a panel on the manufactured home. All systems function fine with no noticable voltage drop. I had to add a grounding bar in the subpanel and measured to assure there was no path between ground and neutral in the box.

• coolvt
    16 years ago

The NEC has special provisions for mobile homes. By code you had a to have disconnecing means within either 25' or 35' of the home (can't remember which). So that part is correct.
    Myself and other mobile home park owners had a real battle with our State chief inspector and the department's legal force. They insisted that we could not put disconnects at the power pole (which included the meter). It seemed kind of stupid to us because then the wire from the pole to the disconnect outside the home had no overcurrent protection, but they insisted this was their interpretation of the code.
    You might know it, the first park that we call for an inspection on, the local POCO refuses to energize without disconnects at the meter. They claimed that they had jurisdiction and they wanted the disconnects. As far as I know, none ever got done without the disconnect at the pole/meter regarlsess of what the State wanted.

• dyi_cal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Interesting issue. Glad nothing like this came up with me. The owner of my electrical supply house is a licensed electriction and has an active business. He advised me on this also as did this forum. I also called the Manufactured home set up crew owner and discussed it with him. SLO county inspection was very happy with the installation as was the setup crew. Thanks for you input.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling