Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird humming sound when I flip the light switch on

Posted by peanutpeanutbutter (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 16, 11 at 3:41

In my kitchen, when I flip on the light switch for the overhead lights (compact fluorescent, came with the light fixture kit, had 'em up for over a year now), I hear a high-pitched hum. It stops when I flip the switch off.

Weird. Could I have, maybe, never noticed this before?? I don't think so, really, but who knows!?

What could it be? Is it something I should have an electrician come out and check out?

Thanks!
Peanut

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird humming sound when I flip the light switch on

"Could I have, maybe, never noticed this before??"

Maybe, but it could also have just started.

Most of the CFLs are built VERY cheaply.

They use high frequency switching power supplies to improve efficiency and generate the required high voltages in a very compact package.

Even a wire in the device tat is free to move can cause them to be noisy.

I would try changing the CFL out, and then dispose of it if it is indeed making the noise.

o

sounds like the ballest might be bad. those lights are horrible all around, they use alot of energy and bad for the environment.its just as easy to put in a new fixture and you could use energy efficient bulbs to save money

o

"they use alot of energy"

Compared to what?

Even a cruddy CFL uses far less energy than an incandescent.

o

well sure thats why they have been banned in the state of Cali and in the next five years you will not find incandescent bulbs on the shelf. if you search around in your own country and buy QUALITY PRODUCTS that are made in AMERICA and not be cheap you will find LED are the best way to go and the quality that will blow your mind. HELP our economy and our PLANET

o

I'm glad this isn't 'mymom' !!!

o

But just to be clear, the original post was about CFLs making noise. CFLs haven't been banned in CA, are one of the most efficient options available, and Brickeyee's recommendation was accurate.

o

"buy QUALITY PRODUCTS that are made in AMERICA"

Right.

Try and find a 'made in the USA' compact florescent.

Even the US named companies have them built in China.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here