Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exit sign plug dilemma

Posted by Kbos51 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 3:01

Hello,
I am am artist and recently acquired a brand new illuminating exit sign I would like to use in my next project. It would normally be hardwired & it also has a battery backup for emergencies that has its own charger. For my project however, hardwiring is not really an option and I would like to wire it to a plug in order to be able to turn it on & off. I've taken several hardwired light fixtures and successfully wired them to a polarized plug, but they were all basic 2 or 3 wire connections. This has 4 wires, blue black, white and green. Can anyone tell me how to wire this? I would like for the batteries and charger to work as intended, so it would remain lit for a bit after unplugged if possible.
Any feedback would be welcome....thank you so much for your time!

Have a great day!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exit sign plug dilemma

Since I have never had any experience with exit signs, I looked up new ones on the internet and it appears that they are typically 120/277 volt capable.

I would "guess" that the black is for 120V and blue is for 277V operation - the white is neutral and green ground. You would still need to confirm this either by taking the sign apart or finding the wiring diagram for the sign,

If this is the case, be sure to cap off and tape the blue wire as it would most likely be hot.

o
RE: Exit sign plug dilemma

Google the model number or manufacturer's info, and on their site hopefully you will find wiring info.

I wouldn't do any wild guessing, you could well fry something, including yourself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here