Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
outlets

Posted by garlicd (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 19, 10 at 2:04

My husband turned on the TV, heard a pop, then the lights and TV went out. After some investigation, we found that on three outlets, the top receptacle works but the bottom receptacle is out. No breakers tripped. What happened and is this dangerous.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: outlets

Are these all in the same room? Is there a chance that one side of the receptacle was on a swtich (is there a wall switch somewhere in the room that appears to control nothing now?). It's especially possible if someone improperly put a dimmer in the place of a switch that controls a receptacle. You plug something in that the dimmer can't handle and pop!

The only other thing I can think of is you have split receptacles on multiwire circuit. This is common in Canadian kitchen circuits but pretty much unheard of elsewhere though.

o

Are you certain that no breakers tripped? When they trip, the handle may still appear to be in the "on" position. It does not move to the "off" position when it trips. Check them all again and see if any wiggle around. If so, move the handle to "off" then back on. Oh yeah, unplug everything on that circuit first. Something is wrong, probably with the TV if the problem appeared the moment the TV was turned on.

o

Thanks for the feedback!
Yes, these are all in the same room. I believe one receptacle is on a wall switch which we always have on, but is not a dimmer. And we don't live in Canada, but our house is over 30 years old.
My husband checked the breakers and they seemed ok. I plugged the TV into the working receptacle and it worked fine.
Maybe a mouse ate into the wiring? There is something dead in our walls, I can smell it. I was just worried about an electrical fire.

o

well, the smell may be the beginnings OF an electrical fire, so if the smell appeared at the same time as the problem, I'd recommend turning off the power and calling an electrician to come check it out pronto.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here