Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bjp999

Replacing Ballast Question

bjp999
12 years ago

I have a 2 (8 ft T-12) bulb fixture in my garage, about 10 years old. The old ballast is too weak to light the fixture. It has a black and white wire, and a blue and red wire (one each). The blue and red wires go to the lamp holders on one end of the fixture only. I have not disassembled the other side to see what is over there.

I was unable to find a replacement ballast with this exact configuration - but came close. I found a ballast with 1 black, 1 white, 1 red, and 2 blue. The salesman said just not to hook up one of the blue wires and it would work. I hooked up as he suggested and sure enough, the light comes on.

But the instructions warn that you need to hook up both blue wires for the balast to work properly, so I have turned the fixture off pending further research. Can someone confirm that hooking it up as I have done is acceptable and not putting undue stress on the balast? Do I need to rewire the fixture so the red wire goes to the lamp holders on one side of the unit, and a separate blue wire to the lamp holders on the other side for this to be a good long-term solution?

Thanks!!

Brian in VA

Here is a link that might be useful: New Ballast Data Sheet

Comments (6)