Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GFCI Test not working... only while in the box

Posted by tjaden (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 21, 09 at 0:01

Hi,

I have a GFCI outlet on a kitchen wall. It has power and the Reset button is pressed in. The problem is when you press the Test button, it doesn't shut off the outlet. I tried pulling the GFCI out of the box and while it is pulled out of the box, the Test button works fine. However, as soon as I put it back in... it doesn't work.

The box that it's going in is metal with a ground screw that is connected to the GFCI ground. The only other thing that seems unique is there are two nails driven through the inside of the box, presumably to anchor the box to the stud. I've just never seen one mounted with the nails going through the middle of the box. Is it possible that these nails are causing the GFCI to not work?

Thanks,
Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GFCI Test not working... only while in the box

It is rare for a GFCI to fail, but you might actually have a bad one.

If it has power (a lamp or something plugged into it works), and the incoming power is wired to the LINE terminals, and the TEST button does not shut if off, then I think it is bad.

The wiggling involved in putting it back in the box could be making something connect and disconnnect inside, or interfering mechanically with the button.

o
RE: GFCI Test not working... only while in the box

Yeah, billhart has the test I want to see. When it apparently isn't tripping, is it actually delivering power to the receptacle? It may be already tripped. If so, I'd put my money on a ground-to-neutral fault from something touching in the box.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here