Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pharkus

Hardwired smoke detectors, interconnect...

pharkus
13 years ago

... grrr... sometimes I hate doing work for friends.

I've inherited a project involving... umm... six? yeah, six hardwired smoke detectors.

Wouldn't you know it - only four can be found. We have no idea where the other two went. All the hardware exists - brackets, connectors, etc., but the detectors themselves? GONE. Vanished. Got sucked into a spontaneously-generated wormhole and transported to an alternate dimension.

I told him to go buy six new, matching units.

He came back several days later with two completely different ones. It is his belief that I should be able to use them.

Y'know what? Whatever. I don't care, there's hot and neutral there, I can just leave the interconnect wire disconnected and forget it. His alternate plan is to just use 9V battery powered ones anyway.

and yet I wonder to myself (but don't dare try it without someone else's input), is the 'interconnect' standard? Do different brands/models use the same signalling? Can I mix brands? Will it work? Will the world end? Will it create another wormhole and teleport more matter? I mean, the latter wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if I could coordinate it with the presence of his very irritating ten-year-old son...

Comments (7)