Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outside Garage Light No Longer Reliable

Posted by scarab4life (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 30, 10 at 22:21

The outside light over my garage has reliably come on at dusk and turned off at dawn for the last 13 years. Lately, it comes on and off sometimes. Since the light is more than 6 feet from the ground I want to know if the problem might simply be I need a new light or could there be another problem?

Thanks for your response.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outside Garage Light No Longer Reliable

If it's triggered by a photocell, I'd say that 13 years is a better that average lifespan. You may be able to replace just the photo sensor.

o

at the end of a vopour bulb's life, it cycles. you just need a new bulb. my grandpa had the same problem.

o

"at the end of a vopour bulb's life"

Do you mean a discharge bulb?

An the OP never mentioned the type of lighting.

o

Probably meant mocory vopour

o

i was thinking mercury or sodium vapour, because that is what people in my area have, but that might just be because it is schuylkill county, pa

o

Before replacing anything, take a look at the fixture to see where the photo sensor is, it is a small round hole with a somewhat shiny appearance. This detects light, and with the absence of light, detects dark... and it then turns on the light. Yes, they do fail, but if a spider decides to build a nest over it and call it home, all kinds of things can happen.

Clean it off and see what happens... it may just work fine and if not, just replace the whole fixture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here