Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor outlet NOT in wall

Posted by jamies (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 20, 10 at 22:05

We had a hollow wood lamp post which housed, in addition to the wire to the lamp at the top, an outlet which was handy for holiday lighting, among other things. The post rotted and we are replacing it with a metal pole set in concrete. I would like to retain the outlet. If I don't tell him otherwise, I'm sure the handyman will just screw the square outlet onto the outside of the pole. That's so untidy. I'd rather have the outlet mounted on it's own small post next to the pole, or some other, preferable way. Perhaps there's an outlet with a curved back for mounting on poles? I'm sure there's a standard better way to do it but I don't know what that is and I can't find any pictures. Can you tell me?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor outlet NOT in wall

This might help(on the sep pole portion anyway)

http://www.aifittings.com/j_2.htm

o
re: outdoor outlet not in wall ii

Here's one that might help.

www.rlights.com/id=13166

o

Has to be GFCI protected too. Technically this is a job for an electrician, not a handyman.

o

cant u just support the rec by two pieces of rigid conduit?

o

Legal? Yes. Recommended? No. Decent-looking? Eww.

o

"cant u just support the rec by two pieces of rigid conduit?"

Do you own a copy of the NEC?

Have you actually read it?

o

i do not have the nec, but i want it for christmas. if the rec is behind a bush, it doesnt matter how it looks.

o

"if the rec is behind a bush, it doesnt matter how it looks."

It is not "how it looks" that is the problem.

A conduit system is NOT ALLOWED as the support for a box as you are describing.

You might get away with using an empty piece of conduit to provide support, but the AHJ is going to take a very hard look at your installation and liable to fail it.

The idea is that the support should be at least as substantial as the conduit method being used, and equal is not likely to pass.
The support is there to protect the conduit method from failing under mechanical load.

o

use a deck post if it is a problem.

o
RE: Outdoor outlet NOT in wall raceway supported box

i mean run a piece of rigid for incoming line and a piece out to the light. concrete at the bottom, underground. called raceway supported box.

Here is a link that might be useful: whats wrong here/raceway supported bo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here