Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
240 50 cycle used in US, 60 cycle

Posted by pinko (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 22:01

I am looking for a cheap way to bring induction to a small cabin I use in rural Vermont. I am a frequent traveler to China and see fine looking induction units for a fraction of the US cost (I know the perils of no UL certification, but have a good guide in China to separate the wheat from the chaff.) But I haven't been able to ascertain, despite a fair amount of searching, what the affect of using the 50 cycle equipment in a 60 cycle environment. Most advice says if you have a motor to run, it is a no go. Electronics appear to be OK, what do I have with an induction cooktop?

Anybody care to weigh in?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 240 50 cycle used in US, 60 cycle

An induction cooktop shouldn't suffer any problems. I've got a neighbor using an import unit without problem.

o

Your state may be different, but in NC, the state law requires all electrical equipment sold or used in the state to be listed or labeled by a recognized testing laboratory. Not much way to enforce it unless they find such for sale on the shelves of a store.

o

"Most advice says if you have a motor to run, it is a no go."

They are simply wrong.

50 Hz motors work fine on 60 Hz, bit NOT the other way.

The motor will run slightly faster but operate fine.
The speed can be an issue for some loads on the motor (like pumps).

Induction heating hardware should be just fine.

o

Have you shopped ebaY for bargains on cooktops? I have seen quite a few 60 Hz models manufactured for the US market. It is hard to believe that you can ship stuff over for less unless you are already bringing containers over for another reason.

o

There's only a cooling fan inside the induction top.
It's probably a universal (DC) motor anyhow.

My mother was gifted (by some Italians) one of the early Pastmatics before they were available in the US. It ran fine but tended to overheat and shutdown probably more than it should if it were on the right line frequency.

o

"There's only a cooling fan inside the induction top.
It's probably a universal (DC) motor anyhow.

It is far ore likely to be a shaded pole AC motor.

Universal motors tend to spin to fast on 120 VAC.

If any electronics are present that use DC power the motor may be any one of a number of permanent magnet stepper type motors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here