Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for recessed cans that can be in contact with insulation

Posted by jaansu (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 21:48

I have a ceiling in which I would like to install 5" diameter cans. Unfortunately, there are rolls of insulation between these joists and no access to get to the area from above. The only cans I found at the big box stores are not permitted to be in insulation contact unless they are 6" cans and these don't seem to permit installation into a finished ceiling (or am I missing something?).

Are there 5" cans that I can use that would allow use of 23W CFLs while being in contact with the paper of the insulation? They would have to be shoved up a little or perhaps I will cut out room for the can but in any event, they must not allow fire danger.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for recessed cans that can be in contact with insulat

What you're looking for is what's call an insulation contact (IC) retrofit housing. Halo (Cooper Lighting) makes them but most people use some kind of flood light in recessed cans, so I don't know if you could use an ordinary compact fluorescent lamp with one of the 5" models. Halo does make an IC retrofit can with a built in fluorescent ballast and you'd just plug in the lamp.

If you can't find what you want at a big box store, you'll need to try a electrical or lighting supply house.

o

You can usually find someone online that will sell you the HALO stuff for less than the big box by about 20%, of course you usually end up paying for shipping so it often comes out as a price wash.

As mike says, 5" IC housings are available in both regular incandescent or designed for non-retrofit CF bulbs. In fact, there are some straight downlights I've seen that are LED fixtures.

o

Thanks guys, this looks like what I need. If the can is not particularly tall, I thought I would install it so that it pushes against the paper vapor barrier of the insulation batts above. It that more of a fire hazard or is it better to cut through the paper and cut a 'hole' in the insulation roll?

o

An IC fixture is allowed to touch the paper, wood framing, the insulation, or other structure.

o

An IC fixture is allowed to touch the paper, wood framing, the insulation, or other structure.

o

Lightolier 1004ICR

http://www.lightolier.com/MKACatpdfs/1004ICR.PDF
http://www.lightolier.com/products/index.jsp?CATREL_ID=20475&BLK=N&CAT_ID=24369

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here