Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help diagnosing problem

Posted by walrus (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 30, 10 at 21:37

Two 15 amp circuits, one above the other in the breaker box, and both are off now pending repair.

One faulty circuit has a conduit originating from the breaker box and if I connect a meter to it and the conduit from the ground at the water meter, it reads 126 volts. I discovered that after getting tingled (not shocked) when brushing against the conduit.

The other faulty circuit burned out a strip type GFI. Discovered that when the electronics plugged into it didn't work. Replaced the GFI with a known good one, and it instantly fizzled when I plugged it in.

The wires are maybe circa 1950's and armored, might be called BX. The breaker box is about a year old. We, and a neighbor, have 126 volts coming into our houses.

Any insight as to what's going on appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help diagnosing problem

Among other things you have a serious grounding issue. I suggest you get an electrician out asap.

o

The electrician is going to just want to rewire the place. I'd prefer to find and correct the fault, if there's a proper fix. Any guidance on what to look for appreciated.

o

Find a better electrician. Metal conduit should not be at anything other than ground potential. GFCI's should not burn out when connected to circuits. Something is seriously miswired here. It's good that you pulled the breakers on these.

Of course with problems like these, "rewiring" the two dead circuits might indeed be warranted.

Frankly, my guess is that in addition to failure to properly bond the conduit, that there is likely to be something touching it. I suspect just gross screwup on the GFCI (like totally misconnected terminals.

o

if you have those 2oa 120/240 1-for-all receptacles one could be wired for 240. you would still be able fit a 120v plug in, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here