Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slowcorrado

Wiring a generator transfer panel into two electrical services

Slowcorrado
12 years ago

Hi all, it's my 1st post so please go easy on me. I did a bunch of searching and haven't seen a question that matches mine, so I hope any answers can help me and others in the future.

I have a 2 apartment house with two 100A electrical services. I'd like to setup a way for my 3Kw portable generator to power some loads on both panels (sump pump in each unit, possibly refridgerators). The problem I'm having is with how to wire the transfer panel. Here's the model that would work great: Reliance Controls 31406CRK Here's a link to the installation manual: http://www.heater-store.com/images_templ/reliance-31406crk-install.pdf (link is also attached to this message)

After some research, I am pretty certain of these things: I can seperate the panel by connecting three of the switches to each of the electrical services. I can split and then connect the single GROUND wire to each electrical service's ground bar.

What I don't get is what do I do with the single neutral wire? Can I just split it and put it to both panels neutral bars, or is this a horrible problem/code violation? Thanks for any input, and if I need to clairify anything, just let me know!

Here is a link that might be useful: 31406 installation instruction manual

Comments (6)