Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to dress wires in meter cabinet?

Posted by Ibewye (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 21:28

Hi guys, I'm a commercial electrician by day (mainly industrial and controls) and could really use a hand from some residential pros. I'm installing new service (200amp 4/0 aluminim)to my home and all I have left to do is land the the wires at the meter cabinet. Have a 2" conduit from utility co. transformer and a 2" conduit going out to main electrical panel, both come into the bottom of meter box( left KO and right KO). Here's my question. When landing the wires on the load side of the meter how do you route your cables? Straight in from conduit right to lugs which requires bending the hell out of one of the wires or coming up and over the top lugs and then bringing in from the top? Is it requires to have a little loop for ground heaving (I have expansion couplings) or is it okay to go straight to lugs. By the way, I don't know how the hell you guys deal with this URD on a daily basis, I'm down to 9 fingers and can no longer stand straight up. Thanks guys.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to dress wires in meter cabinet?

Oh, I though residential work was SOOOOOO easy. (not your words, but typical from most comm/ind guys) LOL

GO to your POCO's web site and look for their guidelines book. Most will be available online. Many times these bibles will have diagrams as to how the POCO likes their meters dressed.
Mine does like the conductors up and around the top all the way back to the bottom lugs. Make for a crowed pan, but it's easier on the lugs and allows for expansion.
You DID get an underground (feed) meter pan, didn't you?

o
RE: Best way to dress wires in meter cabinet?

Hey Petey_racer thanks for the reply. Did find a diagram on POCO guide it was buried on page 91 of 93. It matches the "knuckle buster" bend I was nervous about (load side right lug). For the record I think residential and the the industrial/factory electrical fields are two different animals. Alot of people assume because I spend my days running NEMA 12 wireways and wiring control panels with hundreds of low voltage cables that I'm also an fully capable of wiring a new home. My sister just built a new home and I had a friend that works on the work residential side of my company wire her house and I couldn't believe the code requirements and the amount of Romex he ended up using. Took one look at realized I'm not even gonna try that game. I grabbed a 40' of nema 1 lay in wireway we tore out at work and am running from my panel across my basement and tapping off it with pipe to a 6x6 jbox in each closet and I'll pick up my circuits from there. FYI I think can get 30 current carrying conductors in a wireway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here