Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low Voltage Wiring for Undercabinet Lights

Posted by davkj (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 28, 10 at 21:21

I am looking to install 24V LED undercabinet lights. The transformer will be located in the basement and would like to run cable to 4 locations in the kitchen. I am uncertain about what cable to use to run the low voltage - should I just use NM cable or can I use some other type of in wall rated cable for this application? If I go with the NM it will need to transition to the cabling for that connects to the lights, what is the proper way to terminate the NM to connect to make the transition? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low Voltage Wiring for Undercabinet Lights

Concelaed LV wiring must be an 'approved method' and NM would fall into this group.

It can also get expensive very quickly since LV lighting uses much higher currents than 120 V lighting, and is very sensitive to voltage drop (dropping a few volts on 120 V does not have nearly the same affect on light output and color as dropping on a 12 V system).

It can become a real task to both handle the large conductors and than connect reliably and safely to the individual light conductors.

I would encourage you to check out individual smaller supplies that accept 120 V inputs and support 60 W of 12 V load per supply.
They are small enough to be mounted on the bottom of cabinets and then the rules for wiring are easier since nothing is concealed in the structure.

o

what about thermostat wire? i was looking into the heaters at school and they have 16awg for the tstat.

o

"what about thermostat wire? i was looking into the heaters at school and they have 16awg for the tstat."

LV lighting does not usually meet the V-A restrictions to use thermostat wire, the currents are WAY higher.

A single 20W bulb on a 12 V system is 1.7 amps.

o

he did say led, didnt he?

o

"he did say led, didnt he?"

LED is not low current either, especially with "the transformer will be located in the basement" running multiple banks of lights.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here