Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wiring of multi split heating/air units-

Posted by peter54321 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 29, 11 at 21:04

I got 2 multi split indoor units and one outdoor18/24 kBtu/h unit . the wiring of the outdoor unit calls for #14 with ground for 208/230v . An HVAC guy told me the cable should be magnetic . Has anyone ever heard of this ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wiring of multi split heating/air units-

What??? Magnetic??

Please do not listen to an HVAC guy when he gives you electrical advice.

o

Somehow the wiring effects the wifi in your house every time the unit comes on . Therefor the special magnetic wire helps .

o

"Somehow the wiring effects the wifi in your house every time the unit comes on . Therefor the special magnetic wire helps ."

Bovine Scatology.

o

I think he means shielded wire. But I've never heard of wire used for power being shielded.

BS.

o

The indoor units are powered from the outdoor. In mine, the control and power cable between the indoor and outdoor are one and installed by the AC guy. This includes two 208/230 conductors, ground and a 12-24V control conductor. The only thing that the electrician needs to look at is the power supply to the outdoor units.

There is a vague warning (stupid drawing) in one install manual to avoid close placement of the indoor units near fluorescent lights and entertainment equipment.

o

"There is a vague warning (stupid drawing) in one install manual to avoid close placement of the indoor units near fluorescent lights and entertainment equipment."

Very poorly designed equipment.

o

Upon further examination, they seem to be concerned with two things. The first is the interference with TV or radio. They say that they want 1 M or more distance. Furthermore, they write, " An amplifier might be necessary for the affected device."

The second is the fluorescent AND incandescent lights. They want to be as far as possible for the remote to operate properly.

Now that I think about it, I have some weird radio reception problems. I will have to check to see if it correlates with the mini split operation. I listen to radio a lot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here