Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor wiring short

Posted by DBVogt (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 11, 11 at 20:49

Is there a way to locate a short in a wire? My lamppost light is connected to an outdoor GFCI outlet. Recently the outlet tripped and will not stay on. I disconnected everything at the outlet and the light and tested with an ohmmeter. There is a partial short between the black wire and ground. The wire looks in pretty good condition. I've done wiring for many years and have never found a short in the actual cable - always at a connection. No one was digging in the vicinity of the cable. It's possible that someone years ago cut the cable to install flower bed lights but I haven't seen any. Are there devices to detect electrical leakages? I really hate to have to dig up the lawn and go under sidewalks to replace the cable. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor wiring short

I haven't found any test equipment that would be practical for this.
I'd dig at the base of the light to see if the cable is nicked close to where it goes into the post. If that isn't it, I'd examine where it leaves the GFCI and goes underground.

o

Have you tried just putting a new GFCI in? I had one trip and wouldn't reset in the middle of the yard. Put a new one in and it's been fine for over a year now.

o

Thanks for the replies. Haven't tried a new GFCI as I disconnected everything from the cable and still found a short. A new GFCI would still trip. I did dig up a couple of feet of cable near the GFCI and found no problems. After the GFCI, the cable goes under bushes, a fence, sidewalk, lots of shrubbery and finally the lawn to the lamppost. It's beginning to look like the base of the lamppost is the next step to look. The wire at the top looked fine.

o

Divide and conquer.

Try completely disconnecting the light completely from the cable and heck each separately.

If the cable still reads bad it need to be repaired or replaced.

Their are kits available for a repair on buried cables, but finding the damaged spot is often just as much trouble as running a new cable (lots of very careful hand digging with the possibility of further cable damage).

Now you understand why conduit is preferred.
You can always pull new wires into a conduit, and even non-metallic condition provides more protection than UF cable.

If you use rigid metal or intermediate conduit the fill depth can be as low as 6 inches, greatly decreasing the installation work over the 12-18 inches for non-metallic conduits.

o

we have a unit for this, its made by Greenlee. not sure of model #, but buying the unit would be ridiculously more money than replacing the cable. I want to say it cost 3k. it pulses a very high voltage DC current through one end of the wire from the main unit. then, it has a remote unit that you use to find the fault. it has 2 probes on it with an analog display. it picks up the pulsed current from the Nick in the wire through the probes, and the needle will point towards the probe that is closest to the fault. so you just keep moving the remote unit whichever way the needle points until you have it centered from every direction, then you dig in that spot. works like a champ, and if it doesn't find anything the the problem is in the above ground portion of the wiring. maybe you can find someone willing to rent you one, but I doubt it. so unless not digging up your yard is worth three grand, hope you're good with a shovel.

o
RE: Outdoor wiring short 2

found it greenlee pe2003.

www.discount-low-voltage.com/Tools-Testers/Buried-Facility-Locating/GR-PE2003

looks like they've dropped the price only cost a grand now. we bought ours a long time ago. still works great though, and more than pays for itself if you're an ec. we've gotten countless wom jobs just because of this baby.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here