Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrturner92

Hot Tub Wiring Component Selection

jrturner92
13 years ago

Hi,

I am installing a hot tub next week and want to make sure that I have the correct wire and components.

My hot tub has a "Peak Electrical Demand" of 38 Amps (this is all the manual will say about amps and doesn�t specifically say which breakers to use).

The store I purchased the tub from sold me a 40 amp GFI outdoor spa panel but would like confirmation that this is correct.

I was planning on using #6/3 NMWU-90 wire which I think should be more than adequate.

Finally I was planning on using a 2 pole 60A breaker in the main panel, I have started to think that this might be a bit big but there is provision in the spa box for two auxiliary 15A circuits that I thought I might use at least 1 of them for some outdoor lighting. Speaking of these auxiliary circuits, I was talking to the guy at Home Depot and he said I should not use them. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Thanks in advance for any input you might have.

Cheers.

Jim

Comments (14)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

NMWU-90

Can't use NM, the ground(ing) conductor needs to be insulated.

Have you looked at the manufacturer's web site for additional installation information? Sometimes the manuals provided with the spa is has been updated or the manufacturer provides additional information.

• ontariojer
    13 years ago

I see you are in Canada- Where?

If you are doing this yourself to save money:

The Hot tub should say on the rating plate what breaker it requires.
    If the HT only requires a 40A breaker, you are spending way more than necc. on that 6/3 wire, 8/3 should do ya(unless the HT is a long way from the house). Also, as long as the spa panel has a locking cover or a way to lock the breaker(most do), you don't actually have to put it outside-so you can use NMD, dry connectors, staples etc. until you get to the outside portion of the wiring(way cheaper). Make sure the NMWU is protected properly, especially make sure it is buried deep enough if you are running it underground.

YOU SHOULD GET A PERMIT AND HAVE THIS INSPECTED.

If you want to do it the other way, that is fine too(as long as the spa panel is the appropriate distance/inaccessible from the tub). But if you are willing to spend the extra money, why not have an electrician do the work, then you can relax as the bubbles take your cares away, and not wonder if you are about to be electrocuted because you didn't hook up the GFI properly. Just some food for thought.

• jrturner92
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"I see you are in Canada- Where?" Rural MB

"If you are doing this yourself to save money:" Mostly to get it done, i am having a hard time getting contractors to show up.

"The Hot tub should say on the rating plate what breaker it requires." Maybe, the tub is still on a pallet.

"If the HT only requires a 40A breaker, you are spending way more than necc. on that 6/3 wire, 8/3 should do ya(unless the HT is a long way from the house." I will need a bit more than 110 ft of wire to get from the panel to the tub.

"Also, as long as the spa panel has a locking cover or a way to lock the breaker(most do), you don't actually have to put it outside." Basement is fully finished so going outside will be easier.

"Make sure the NMWU is protected properly, especially make sure it is buried deep enough if you are running it underground." 18" and covered with clean sand.

"YOU SHOULD GET A PERMIT AND HAVE THIS INSPECTED." I plan to.

• smithy123
    13 years ago

I would use a 60a gfci in the house and 4 awg thhn in conduit to the line of sight disconnect. I would then use a40 for the tub and a 20 for the service rec.

• petey_racer
    13 years ago

Smithy, WHY would you waste the money on #4 (!) when it has been determined that #8 will be perfectly adequate???

jrturner92, in the US you CANNOT use NM or UF for the outside portion of the wiring to a hot tub. We MUST use conduit can conductors with an insulated ground. I believe Canada is the same.

You guys have something called Tek cable I believe. This is the ONLY flexible cable allowed for the outside portion of the wiring.

Also, I see that you do not plan to do this, but I believe Canada is the same in that the disconnect MUST be within sight of the tub. So putting it in the basement, even with a lock, is NOT a consideration.

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

Don;t know how things run in Canada, but in the US it's usually cheaper to put a breaker in the panel and then use a "spa pacK' which is a combo GFCI/disconnect box (runs about $90 at the home centers) as the disconnect.

• ontariojer
    13 years ago

Canadian rules are very different for hot tubs- no need for conduit. NMWU is fine.
    See my post above about disconnects- they do not have to be line of sight(in residential installations).

He does have a spa-pak. Has to have a lockable Disc. here as well, but it can be out of sight.

Ignore smithy, I have decided he is a troll. In one post he says he's 14y.o.

J

• jrturner92
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, so it seems on on the right path.

Any comments on putting an auxiliary circuit in the GFI box?

Thanks

• ontariojer
    13 years ago

If you feed the spa pak with 60a like you were planning, I don't see any reason you shouldn't use it for something else as well.

• smithy123
    13 years ago

I was modifying the idea i had when my grandparents were considering adding a hottub. i was going to run 100a from the main panel to the pool subpanel. i was then going to run 60 to the disconnect panel and add the service rec and a lighting circut to add a nearby(20 feet away) dusk to dawn lamp. i planned to match the other sqd qo panels on the property.

• jrturner92
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Possible stupid question: What is "service rec"?

Thanks
    Jim

• smithy123
    13 years ago

in america, we are required to have a receptacle within 10 feet(or something like that) of the hottub. it must be gfi protected.

• petey_racer
    13 years ago

"...or something like that...." ????

Seriously? No, it's not "within ten feet".

Easy answer. It means Service Receptacle.

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

Not less than six feet nor more than ten and it applies ONLY to indoor installations. If you're going to deal with tanks of water that you immerse yourself or your loved ones in, it behooves you to read ALL of art. 680 and understand it rather than relying on your memory.