Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding wire to existing outlet

Posted by mike8959 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 5, 10 at 19:59

I have an outlet that is located 24 inches from the bottom of wall but I need to move it down 12 inches. I don't think I can just add romex to it and move it, I remember something about putting in a box on the wall with a blank plate. I don't think it would be easy to locate the wire back to origin and replace entire wire with a longer one, but is there anything else I can do that is code compliant without having to put in a outlet accessible on the wall with a blank plate and hen the ac outlet below, I hope this makes sense.
Thanks,
mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding wire to existing outlet

You could just leave it there and add a second outlet.
Hank

o
RE: Adding wire to existing outlet

ALL connection must be in accessible boxes. There is no way around it.
What is on the other side of the wall? Could you put the box facing the opposite wall? As long as it is accessible it is acceptable. It could be in a closet etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here