Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
240 Volt Wiring

Posted by ruko (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 26, 10 at 19:41

I recently purchased a 240 volt mig welder. It has a three wire cord, two black(hot) and one yellow-green ground. I read somewhere all new 240 volt appliances have to have a four wire hook up. Two hot, a neutral and a ground. I guess the welder is not considered an appliance. Anyway my barn where the welder is going does not have a ground wire going back to the main panel in the garage. It has two #8 hot wires for 240 volt, and a neutral for 120. I found two copper ground stakes used for the system ground. All outlets are GFI protected and grounded to the stakes. I know you shall NOT use the neutral as a ground even though they are electrically connected at the main panel.

My question is whether or not this is a safe system to run my welder? Should I get 240 volt GFI protection for the welder? I assume there is such a thing. Should I run a separate ground wire back to the garage panel?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 240 Volt Wiring

No, there is no such requirement. The requirement was that certain items (ranges and dryers) were allowed to be grounded by a current-carrying grounded conductor which is no longer allowed. Your welder has two non-grounded current-carrying conductors and one equipment grounding (non-current carrying) conductor.

As for the wiring for your barn, as long as there are no other metallic connections (phone, cable TV, etc...) between your barn and what is feeding power to it, it probably is in compliance with the codes form when it was built.

There are 240 GFCIs but I'm not sure I'd want to run my welder on one.

o

personally, i would run a ground back to the panel. you will also need to intall a ground busbar. i would never run a welder off a gfi!
or put in a qo panel. just kidding!

o

Smithy is wrong once again. You DO NOT need to run a ground back to the panel.

You have a 3-wire feeder where the neutral is also serving as the ground, just like the main service in your house. Since this is a detached structure this was allowed for many years.

Like Ron said, your welder is a 240v appliance, NOT a 120/240v appliance like a range or dryer. Your welder does not have, does not need and does not want a neutral.

o

When you said, "I found two copper grounding stakes", did you mean that you found the separate grounding rods for the barn? and that the subpanel in the barn (assuming there is one) is tied to these stakes?

o

i said i would personally run a ground back 2 the panel, NOT THAT IT IS REQUIRED, nor menton anything about the codes.

o

To Weedmeister

Yes I found the stakes by/for the barn and there is a panel in the barn. The two stakes are connected to the panel's grounding lug with perhaps #8 wire or larger. The neutral coming from the main panel in the garage is also connected to this lug.

Thanks

o

The grounding electrode system is not for personnel safety, but lightning and distribution transformer leakage.

It has nothing to do with the grounding conductor (other than sharing the bar in a panel).

o

Brickeyee

I thought personal safety was one of the main reasons for grounding.

I copied this poor grammar and misspellings blurb from a site about grounding and it's function:

"Grounding operation in electrical distribution network:

The main reason why grounding is used in electrical distribution network is the safety: when all metallic parts in electrical equipments are grounded then if the insulation inside the equipments fails there are no dangerous voltages present in the equipment case. Then the live wire touches the grounded case then the circuit is effectively shorted and fuse will immediatly blow. When the fuse is blown then the dangerous voltages are away.

The safety is the primary function of grounding. Grounding systems are designed so that they do provide the necessary safety functions. Grounding also have other functions in some applications but the safety should not be compromised in any case."

o

The groundING conductor provides protection, not the grounding electrode system.

The return for all the current coming into a service is the neutral the POCO supplies, the groundED conductor.

It is grounded again at the service to prevent high voltage (7,200 V) and lightning from propagatubg on the internal wiring of the structure.

At 120 V the earth is a very poor conductor, and if you touched the hot line standing with bare feet on the earth you would never approach the 10 A plus required to open a breaker.

o
reRE: 240 Volt Wiring

"At 120 V the earth is a very poor conductor, and if you touched the hot line standing with bare feet on the earth you would never approach the 10 A plus required to open a breaker."

Should be 15 A of course (or higher).

o

Don't be so hasty!

Here is a link that might be useful: SquareD QO 10A breaker

o

TOO BAD WE CANT WIRE WITH LAMPCORD. I WANT THAT BREAKER!!! IT WOULD BE GREAT FOR A RECEPTACLE FOR HOLIDAY LIGHTS. IWOULD SUPPOSE YOU WOULD USE THAT FOR A DOORBELL TRANSFORMER, THOUGH.

o

I have 1 amp and 2 amp breakers.

They are used in control wiring circuits.

The smallest normnally used in a residential setting is 15 A, since #14 is the smallest wire easily available in NM, MC, AC, etc.

If you hunt around you can get MC in smaller sizes (I have some in #22) but again, it is control system wiring.

o

do those breakers fit in qo panels? are they legal to be used for branch circuts in resudential appliatioins? i want one!

o

"do those breakers fit in qo panels? "

No, and they are heads and tails above typical breakers for residential use.

They are rated for aircraft.

o

can you show a pic?

o

They are made by Pottter-Brumfield and look like a toggle switch with a large switch enclosure.

They are around $30 a pop.

o

the only ones i could find were the push type like what is on a plug strip

o

Look here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Potter Brumfield PB W31 Circuit Breaker

o

they would work great for a plug strip

o

o

"they would work great for a plug strip"

Except it is expensive.

Much cheaper rocker style breakers are available, and many plug strips use them.

o

i found a rocker that is rated for 20a, lighted, and RoHs compliant.

o

Congratulations. Would you like a medal?

o

i found it on digikey

Here is a link that might be useful: 20a lighted rocker breaker

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here