Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need new 220 in kitchen for new microwave

Posted by msgreatdeals (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 19:24

I have a brand new model home and I want to change out my microwave for the GE speedcook model that requires 220. The house I'm leaving has a double GE oven that has that feature and I use it daily and just love it!
I'm wondering if this is going to be expensive. I paid $720 to add 220 in my old kitchen for the double oven.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need new 220 in kitchen for new microwave

If you mean the advantium, what is the current required?

o

Yes the advantium. It requires Amps 240v/208V and voltage is 240.0. (model PSA2201RSS).

o

I understand it requires amps. I was asking how many. According to the GE site, it is 30.

o

Your existing microwave wiring is probably 12/2, which is used for a standard 20 amp 120 volt plug. Its important to know whether the new 220 volt microwave is rated at 30 amps, and whether it requires a 4-wire range socket (which are now very common). If you need to use 10/3 wiring (10 gauge wire size for 30 amps, 3 wires in the jacket for a range plug) it will be a complete new circuit. Most of the cost will depend on how hard it is to run the wire. The actual wire and breaker are relatively inexpensive.

Bruce

o

according to the installation guide, it requires a 4-prong NEMA 14-30R receptacle. That is a 4-wire connection, or a 10/3 cable.

o

All I want to know is what would be a reasonable cost to have the electrician install that.
When I had 220 installed in my (old house)kitchen when I remodeled, it was $720 but that was for a double wall oven. They ran it from the box, thru my attic to the kitchen.

o

It all depends on access from the panel location to the microwave location. An open access attic, basement or crawl space will cost less than a 2 story house on a slab with no access from above or below.

o

I got 4 estimates and the work is being done on Tues by the lowest bid and a company that I have used twice before. Hopefully it will go well!

o

I'd have to yes, GOOD LUCK going with the low bidder.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here