Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
post light sensor - replacement problem

Posted by homebound (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 19:22

I replaced a post light sensor from HD (westek w/ black, red, white) according to the diagram and it still does not work (can't get bulb on) yet I'm finding current at the socket. Maybe it's the socket, but I noticed something else: There's always current (110) at the socket whether the sensor is blacked out or not. Do these things switch the hot or the neutral to the socket?

So i don't yet know if the new sensor is bad, or it's the socket, or maybe there's an open neutral. Any ideas before I try again? Thanks. (bulb is good, btw)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: post light sensor - replacement problem

"I replaced a post light sensor from HD (westek w/ black, red, white) according to the diagram and it still does not work"

So, why did you replace it? What happened when you originally troubleshot the problem and bypassed the sensor by connecting the line and load directly to confirm that the sensor was at fault?

o

Ok, you got me. I didn't. The eye looked cloudy/rusty and was missing the gasket and ring nut so I jumped to conclusions and just replaced it. My bad.

I'll be back monday to figure it out. (It'll probably turn out to be the socket after all.)

o

"There's always current (110) at the socket whether the sensor is blacked out or not. Do these things switch the hot or the neutral to the socket?"

No, there is voltage.

The current may be so low the light is off.

This is common with a digital meter and a solid state switch.
There is enough leakage of current (even micro-amps) for a digital meter (10,000 mega ohms input impedance on the voltage scale) is not hard to find on a digital meter) to read a voltage when you cannot even feel the tiny current.

Hots are switched.

o

Update:

Correct that there was voltage but no current. Also, the lamppost was NOT wired with UF cable and there apparently is no conduit underground either. Nice digging project for when storm "Sandy" is long gone.

o

If you use rigid metal or intermediate metal conduit the coverage depth is only 6 inches.

A single shovel depth trench does the job.

Use a 90 degree sweep turn with a thread protector on the open end to curve up into the post.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here