Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Junction Box and Plate on Ceiling

Posted by claudialina10 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 19:12

Sigh.

So I asked my electrician to move my dining room light over about 8-10". When I came home, the light was moved, but he told me he had to add wire to the junction box (v. rewiring the entire light) which then meant he could not have my contractor patch the ceiling where the junction box is located because it's not to code.

He said he did it this way because there seems to be other wires that are in that junction box (wires that aren't for the dining room light fixture, I think?) and he would have to source them to rewire everything.

I asked around and this all seems right, but other than paying him more money to spend a bunch of time to rewire everything, what can be done?

I hate the way the metal plate looks on the ceiling (it's white, but still very obvious).

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Junction Box and Plate on Ceiling

If the box with the junction is still there, the plate needs to be there so the connections are accessible. Yes, the only way to do it would be to reroute all the wires so the junctions could be made in boxes elsewhere.

The only mays to mitigate this:

If this is the top floor there may be accessibility in the attic that you could "flip"
the box over and leave access there.

You can paint or texture or whatever you want to camoflauge the plate as long as it stays removable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here