Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

How do I test a florescent light/fixture?

jerry_nj
12 years ago

I have a GE electric kitchen range with a florescent light across its width above the control panel. The range is at least 10 years old, but the light has not been used much.

The blub is F26T8-CW4 10 Watt and it is operated by a three position switch. The switch is a rocker style with an Off position in which it can rest, and an On position in which it can switched to and is the center rest position, and it has a Start position that is momentary, is in that position only as long at the switch is held there. My recollection is I had to hold the switch in the Start position until the light flickered, and then I'd release. Now there is not even a flicker.

I was going to replace the bulb as that's the only way I know to test a florescent bulb. But, I was not able to find the subject bulb at either Walmart or Lowes.

I would like to make some test to see if the bulb is getting a Start and On signals. I have a volt-ohm-meter and know how to use it to check a socket for an incandescent bulb. Can I make some tests to assure that the florescent fixture is providing electrical power to the florescent bulb?

Comments (2)