Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing this socket on dining room fixture

Posted by juliany (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 12, 11 at 18:59

The downlight on our dining room light fixture doesn't work. When looking at it, it appears the holes where the bulb(50W MR-16 )pins goes is overly worn. The downlight is attached to the middle section of our fixture which has 5 candelabras.

Any help on how to replace this socket? What is this type of socket called?
Here are some pics which might help explain the issue better.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Julia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing this socket on dining room fixture

You might try replacing the existing socket with a regular candelabra base socket.

The sockets and bulbs are much easier to find.

o

I've got no connection to the site below, but it came up first when I googled that connection. The replacement part is cheap, but the repair might not be simple unless the lamp opens up easily.

Here is a link that might be useful: part

o

I had the same problem a few years ago, and I went to a lighting store that also has an electrical supply counter. They had them with a 18" lead, and could order with 24" leads. 24" should be long enough to reach the enclosure in the middle where all the leads are connected together. Ask for a 12 volt bi-pin socket.

o

Thank you for the help. We plan to go to the electrical supply store and see if they have it. If not, I'm sure they will be able to order it for us. At least I know what to call it.

Julia

o

Just to update this post. I did have to go online and order the part. We visited several electrical supply stores plus hardware stores and no one had the part.
Once the part arrived, we decided to have our electrician come and change out the part. Good thing we did. When trying to get the existing socket out, it just started to crumble into pieces. One note is that the wiring on the new socket was a bit shorter but he got it all connected again. I guess if we did it over again, I'd be sure to buy this socket with longer wiring.
All fixed and now I have my downlight again. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.

Julia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here