Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need opinions please!

Posted by birdwriter (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 20, 11 at 18:52

This isn't a DIY question, but I hope you guys can help. DH and I are building a new home in a new development. Builder always used conduit, all models and existing homes have conduit. We signed a contract and left earnest money. Now I find out that town just amended their building code (for the benefit of this large builder)to use Romex instead. I screamed, builder said they will upgrade if I pay for it. (Haven't broken ground yet). Contract says they can substitute material "of equal or better" quality.

I consider Romex a downgrade from conduit. What say you guys?

tnx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need opinions please!

I won't comment if it is better, but I will say the builder pulled a serious fast one. I would not stand for it.

o

Both wiring methods are code approved so I don't think you could argue that cable is of lesser "quality" and from the builder's perspective, there's a huge cost savings. It also seems reasonable that if the builder is going to benefit from those savings, you should be paying less for the home, not more. As I recall the labor to install conduit is roughly three times what it is to install cable.

My suggestion would be to try to find an amicable solution with the builder. I suppose you could hire an attorney but I would guess that whatever you paid in legal fees would quickly eat up any premium the builder wants to charge for conduit. You could sue the builder in small claims court, assuming the court would be willing to hear the case. The builder is, I presume, a corporation of some sort and would need an attorney to represent him while you could represent yourself. That might be a worthwhile threat...

o

I'm confused - does the contract or other documents specify conduit? Or are you asking for something that wasn't specified and they want to charge you for the change?

o

It depends on what the contrast actually says in black and white on the pages, not what the builder "always used."

o

Unless the contract specifically spells out a particular product, the builder is free to use whatever code approved method he likes to get to the final product.

FYI - conduit is not required in most of the country.

"It also seems reasonable that if the builder is going to benefit from those savings, you should be paying less for the home, not more."

That isn't how it works. If the code change went the other way, the builder wouldn't have been able to retroactively increase the price of homes under contract.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here