Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akmikek

Installing/Wiring a Generator Outlet

akmikek
16 years ago

I am attempting to connect my 5500 watt generator to 4 dedicated outlets inside my house and would like some opinions on what i am doing. I have a generator outbuilding i have built with installed ventilation and would like to install a female connector(L14-30R) on the outside wall of my house and 2 standard 110 outlets (4 plugs)inside the house directly on the other side of the wall which i will run extension cords from for powering stuff. I would like to plug the generator into the plug (L14-30R) on the outside via a short extension cord L14-30 male plugs on 10 guage wire. I understand the basic principles and note my generator comes with an extension cord with outlets installed on the end. I would like to do this so i have no cords running through my doors or windows and so im sealed from the outside enviroment.Is this feasible? Does the (L14-30R) on the generator generally 240v and how does that transfer to 110v on the other end of the cord? Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Comments (4)