Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
btheis

Generator Power Cord Question

Bruce T
10 years ago

Hi Folks,

My neighbor has a Yamaha EF6000 portable generator. The generator itself has a Nema L5-30 receptacle and a Nema L14-20 receptacle.

The power cord they currently use is 12-4 type SOW-A with a L14-30 receptacle that goes to the transfer switch and L14-20 plug that goes into the generator. So, they are using the 20amp output from the generator to connect to the 30 amp input in the transfer switch.

Here is the problem: The 20 amp receptacle on the generator has been knocked loose from its setting so it is now impossible to plug the power cord into that receptacle.

I want to know if I can remove the L14-20 plug from the power cord and replace it with a L5-30 plug so they can plug into the 30 amp plug on the generator - - with out screwing up the generator, power cord or the transfer switch.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (9)

• petey_racer
    10 years ago

NO, NO, NO.
    A 5-30 is VERY different from a 14-20, which should be obvious.

Fix the L14-20 and do the job properly.

• Bruce T
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate your response, and, yes I do know the difference between the two plugs.

I don't think you understand my question.

To restate, I want to replace the L14-20 plug on the power cord with a L5-30 plug.

The new L5-30 plug on the power cord will be plugged into the unused L5-30 receptacle on the generator.

Please re-read my post and let me know what you do not understand.

• petey_racer
    10 years ago

No re-reading necessary.

Like I said, A 30A 120V receptacle is very different than a 120/240V 20A receptacle.

It can be done, but you will get 1/3 less capacity and have no 240V capability, so almost certainly rewiring is in order. But as you say, you know the difference so you you know this.

Fix the loose receptacle and do the job right.
    You will spend money and doing more work by hacking it up doing it wrong.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

Did you note the L5 has one fewer pin than the L14?

• Bruce T
    Original Author
    10 years ago

O.K. - I guess I should have started out my post by saying I'm not in any way, shape, or form an electrician. Thus the reason I ask questions on this forum.

If I understand what the both of you are saying is if I try to put the l5-30 plug on then I would be left with 1 unused wire on the power cord???

I certainly don't understand why they would put a l5-30 - receptacle on the generator in the first place if it cant' be hooked up to a transfer switch.

I'm just trying to find a low cost solution for my neighbor.

I'm not even sure how I would even begin to get access to that area of the generator as it appears to be sealed in a plastic case and I can't find much about this generator on the web.

Guess I'll have to tell her to shell out the big bucks to get it properly repaired.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

No I'm not saying that.

They put an L5 on there NOT because they wanted you to connect it to a transfer switch but they envisioned you wanted to connect it to a larger (>20A) 120V load. An L5 pin configuration gives you 120V ONLY. L6 gives you 240V (no 120) only. An L14 provides both the 120 and 240.

The lowest cost solution is likely to just fix the generator. That whole front panel with the receptacles come off when you remove the eight screws (four on top and four on the bottom). The owner's manual shows that in the section on how to get to the fuses. You can find the owners manual as a PDF if you don't have one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Owner's Manual

• Bruce T
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey ronnatalie,

Thanks for the response.

I'm still a little confused about the l5-30 connection and the "why" as to connecting to a larger (>20A) 120V load? What kind of applications would this be used ? Just curious.

In any case, thanks for the link to the EF6600 owners manual. Her generator is a EF6000, which I cant seem to find a OM on the web . I imagine they are similar but for the life of me, I did not see any access screws on the front panel of her generator. Perhaps they are covered with dirt and grime, or have plugs that hide the screws --- I'll give it another look tomorrow.

I appreciate you giving me some direction in helping a neighbor in need.

Thanks.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

You have to realize this generator wasn't designed as a household standby power. It was designed to bring power to situations where there wasn't power PERIOD. Contractors, etc.... might have 240V loads or they might just have large 30A 120V loads.

I posted the EF6000 manual link in previous message.

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

RVs or campers might use 120v only.