Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joemama_gw

outdoor wiring question

joemama
10 years ago

I need to run electrical to the bottom of some stairs. The run will be about 75 to 90 feet, and will come directly from a new circuit in my service panel. I want a 20 amp circuit so I can use my 110 mig welder if I need to, or maybe a snow blower, weed whacker, etc. What gauge and type wire should I use? I am thinking 3 wires, 12 gauge, but could be 10 (I happen to have some 10 gauge stranded I could use for power and neutral if that is O.K. do I also need 10 gauge for ground?). The stairs lead from a cabin, down a steep hill, to a driveway and carport. I would like to run the wiring along the inside of the stair stringers. Can I use emt, or should I use ridgid? It can be considered a damp location, as it will be exposed to rain and snow. I plan on having an outlet on an upright for the railing, and possibly running power for a light to the carport. Can I run the power for the carport light overhead inside emt or ridgid? I am planning on using a GFI outlet. Can I use the GFI to also protect the light?
Thanks.

Comments (3)