Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elecceil

Electrical wiring along ceiling

elecceil
9 years ago

Hi,

I have a vaulted ceiling where the electrician ran the wires along the ceiling, touching the OSB. Is this a problem with the electrical code in California (see pic attached)? Also, I'm concerned if there is any roof work near the area, the nails can pierce the wires. What is the best way to protect the wires from such a case? Appreciate your response.

Thanks,
Andy

Comments (9)

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

There's no worry about things touching the framing. Is that solely disoriented strand board there that the room is going to be nailed to, or is that the bottom of SIP?

Where is the ceiling finish going to be install over those furring strips or somehow attached to the opposite (bottom?) side of those rafters or whatver is running horizontally in the picture?

• joefixit2
    9 years ago

It looks like the OSB is the roof deck and the romex should not be laying up against it. 300.4 does not specifically address wood roof decking, only metal but IMHO 304.4(B)(2) would apply which requires nail plates to be applied over the cable.

I have stopped several apprentices from doing what is pictured, it is asking for trouble.

• joefixit2
    9 years ago

The furring actually looks like the old 1X4's left over from an old shake roof, but the newer 2X's supporting it all is confusing.

• elecceil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your response.

Here's another pic and some additional details.

This is a 1950s timeframe house. The 1x2 slats in the pic could be from the older roof. Looks like previous owner had the roof work done and installed new OSB.

My electrician routed the wires behind the rafters, tightly up against the OSB. My concern is during the roof work, roofers can easily nail thru these wires.

Is there a way to protect these wires from roofing nails .... is there anything I can add behind the wires or against the OSB so the wires don't get damaged during roof work.

Also my concern is if this will pass with the city.

• User
    9 years ago

Not acceptable. And no room for the required insulation either. If it were framed properly, there would be room for both the wires and the insulation.

• joefixit2
    9 years ago

What is wrong with the framing? It looks like there is 7 to 8 inches for insulation, is this not enough for R-30?

This post was edited by joefixit2 on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 9:23

• joefixit2
    9 years ago

It should not pass your city inspection and I would definitely point it out to the inspector if he doesn't notice it. The rafters should have been drilled and the wires threaded thru them. At this point nail plates would not be able to be installed correctly. Besides that even the sections between the rafters are likely to get hit when new shingles are installed with a nail gun. Time to pull them out and drill, it was laziness not to do it in the first place.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

I agree, if that's the roof sheathing, wires should not be up against it. At this point there is NO WAY to protect those wires. If those rafters aren't to be exposed, bore through them and get the wires away from the surfaces.