Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janesylvia

Is it better to use 6-outlet adapter w surge protection or not?

janesylvia
11 years ago

Our recently bought house has one 220V outlet and 2 regular outlets in the garage. Washer and dryer would be there. I am thinking of buying the 6 outlet adapter so I could have more outlets in the garage.

Would the following adapter be fine or is it better to buy one with surge protection?

GE 54947 6-Outlet Grounded In-Wall Adapter, White

Thank you very much.

Comments (5)

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

I dislike those things (surge or not). First off, any wall-warts (transformers integral to the plug) will block multiple ports. It's too easy to yank the whole mess out of the wall if you unplug one thing, etc...

Something like this is nicer: LONGER STRIP

Surge suppression won't hurt, but it's of perhaps dubious gain.

• alan_s_thefirst
    11 years ago

I prefer the longer strips also. I got a great one from Costco, that's probably 4' long, so no issue with overlapping wall warts. Obviously, you can only use small loads if you're going to plug in more than one or two things.

GOOD surge protectors are often worthwhile, cheap ones are sometimes worse than a plain outlet, I've read that cheap ones can actually make some types of damage more likely.

You might argue that a washing machine isn't vulnerable or worth protecting, but they're full of electronics now, and not cheap, so it may be worth considering.

Surge suppressors are consumable - they don't last forever and will need to be replaced every so many years, whether they work or not.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Just make sure the strip can take the washer's motor start-up surge.

It is often at least 50% higher than the washers power rating, and can be more if the tub is loaded and the start-up takes longer.

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

The issue really isn't surge suppression as much as it is an overload within the six-way adapter itself. They do make units like you linked to with a built-in 15 amp circuit breaker and surge suppression but they still aren't the best solution.

If your dryer is electric, then it would plug into the 240VAC outlet. The washer would plug directly into one of the receptacles of the 120VAC outlet and your power strip would plug into the other receptacle.

The 4 foot long-ones are definitely the best but bear in mind local code often technically preclude you from mounting any power strip directly to a wall and refer to it as improvised wiring. Mount it to a workbench or some other piece of "furniture".

• janesylvia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for all the responses, which are very helpful.