Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dfri

Hooking up a standby generator as a portable

dfri
10 years ago

I am wondering if a standby generator can be hooked up similarly to a portable generator? Already have the outlet box on the wall and manual transfer switch from using a portable.

I just want to be able to utilize the natural gas of a standby and be able to possibly take it with me if I ever sell the house. I'd start it up when ever needed.

Thanks

Comments (5)

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

Certainly, though you should consult with a lawyer not an electrician as to whether a generator as installed as such would be considered as part of the property in your jurisdiction.

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

My take is that if it plugs in and the fuel supply is. similarly, a flex plug-in rather than hard pipe, it is removable and not part of the house sale. OTOH, the buyers should be clear on that so problems do not occur on closing. On the third hand, if you are going to specifically exclude a genset in a real estate sale, it does not make much difference how it is attached.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Despite disconnectable fittings, something sitting on a concrete pad like that is likely to be considered a fixture.

For example, in some areas, a REFRIGERATOR is a fixture and is expected to remain with the house. In others, it's a movable appliance and doesn't, by default, convey.

Of course, if you want to be clear, you need to spell it out in the purchase contract.

• dfri
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Not worried at all about what happens when the house is sold. I'll clarify that it isn't going with the house.

My MAIN question was, can it be wired up so that it can be plugged in to my current wall outlet with manual transfer switch???

E-mailed Generac, and they said. What are your thoughts on their reply?? Thank you .

"GeneracâÂÂs Automatic Home Standby units will need to be hard-wired into a Generac brand transfer switch for proper installation and will need to be installed by a certified installer or electrician as described in the installation guidelines that are provided with the unit. The units are not compatible with a twist-lock connection, or a manual transfer switch."

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

I have an 80KVA generac. The big problem is where I'd get a L14-400 plug for the thing. The thing can be disconnected from the house by disconnecting the several 3/0 wires from the transfer switch and disconnecting the 120V (for the battery charger for the starter) and the RS-432 control line.

Of course, the transfer switch is no small amount of change either.