Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Box fill 45 year old junction

Posted by ardmi (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 18:21

I found a 45 year old 4x1.5" junction box in my garage attic that is overfilled by 4 conductors. Its been untouched for sure. I dont want to mess with i out of fear of damaging something and having a big issue on my hands.

Would a box extension suffice or should I leave it be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Box fill 45 year old junction

"I dont want to mess with i out of fear of damaging something and having a big issue on my hands."
Is anyone forcing you to "mess with" it?

o

Im just dilligently fixing code violations etc around an old house.... just trying to keep things safe you know.

But to answer your question, no, im not being forced (by an inspector nor a need for expansion or repair).

o

Im just dilligently fixing code violations etc around an old house.... just trying to keep things safe you know.

But to answer your question, no, im not being forced (by an inspector nor a need for expansion or repair).

o

There's no CODE violation if it was legal when it was installed.

o

When did the current box fill calculations become code?

o

Can someone point me to any info about grandfather clauses in the electric code?

My house is old and it seems like most things I look into are against current codes and I tend to work myself up over them. I think I may be confused with what was standard then vs. current practices.

o

That's not addressed by the CODE. The code is self sufficient and by and large doesn't look backward. It is your local code enforcement that decides which version of the code applies to where and when the wiring needs to be brought up to more modern codes.

o

If it were my garage, I'd just put an extension on it and be done with it. That is what I did when I happened upon an old octagonal box in my father's basement that had no cover. It had no cover because it was too !#@$%^&* full to fit a cover. It probably dates from 1959 and cables were added when the basement was finished. It is not obvious because the opening faces up at the floor joist level.

o

I would suggest leaving the box in the garage attic alone and getting a hobby to keep yourself busy. Tinkering with old wiring just to tinker can become expensive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here