Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosemint

Cable staple?

rosemint
9 years ago

(I replaced the second photo with the correct one!)

I recently had framing put in a wall for new sconces. From the attached photos, can you tell me if a cable staple is needed? If so, what is the safest kind and way to put one in?

Also, is some kind of a plate needed toward the bottom of the
second picture?

A handyman mentioned these things to me, and I wanted to confirm with you guys!

Thanks.

This post was edited by jacquelynn on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 5:11

Comments (20)

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

Are we talking about that yellow wire? If so, what amateur put it in? Since this was not pulled in behind existing wall, it must be stapled within a foot of the box (and no furhter apart than every 4.5 feet other than that) which it looks like the wire is too tight to do. Further, if my eyes are serving me right, there's not enough wire left inside the box to be legal either.

You can use any listed staple, they sell them specifically for this purpose. Even the home centers have them.

• rosemint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, ronnatalie! The amateur was a highly-recommended licensed electrical company. (: So to do the job right, do I need to replace the existing wire with a longer one and staple it within a foot of the box? How much wire should be left inside the box? In other words -- when I email this contractor to correct the problem, what specifically should I ask them to do?

I appreciate your help! Thanks.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

The wire needs to be stapled with 12" of the box and at least every 4.5 feet (it looks from eyeballing once they get a staple up near the box, that one more about halfway down will suffice, the hole in the stud it passes through counts as a support as well).

Each box where a wire makes a connection there must be 6" of free conductor where it emerges from it's cable sheath. In addition, it needs to be able to stick out the front of the box 3" as well. It looks to me like there's hardly 3" of wife in the run comming up from the top, total.

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

And it wouldn't hurt to put a metal plate on the stud where the wire passes through in order to protect it from nails or drywall screws.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

The plate is required if the hole is within 1-1/4 inches from either face of the stud. This means if you hit dead center on the "4" side of a 2x4 then you can omit it. If you're off center OR the framing member is smaller (like a 2x3 which it appears these might be). You're going to need the plate. (a 2x3 is really 1 1/2 by 2 1/2, any hole big enough to get the NM cable through is going to encroach on the 1 1/4.

• rosemint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, weidmeister and ronnatalie!

I emailed the following to my electrician: "...The wire should be secured, but itâÂÂs too short and too tight to be stapled to within a foot of the box as it is supposed to be."

His response was the following:

"The reason we didnâÂÂt strap it within the box is you had no structural members to strap it to, thereâÂÂs nothing wrong with the installation we did; we could have someone put a 2x4 up there and strap it to that, but thereâÂÂs nothing unsafe about the wiring we did."

I'm in California, if that makes any difference. Your comments would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks again.

This post was edited by jacquelynn on Mon, Nov 3, 14 at 16:21

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

Your electrician is either a fraudulent liar or an blithering idiot. There is no exception int he electrical code because it is inconvenient to add the proper support or the fact that he screwed up and didn't use enough wire the first time.

• rosemint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, ronnatalie! I provided him with 2x4's and he used
    one of them -- I wonder why he didn't use more!

• btharmy
    9 years ago

Sounds like he was the cheapest price that came along. Maybe even a handyman and not an actual electrician.

• dennisgli
    9 years ago

Sounds like he was the cheapest price that came along. Maybe even a handyman and not an actual electrician.

Interesting comment since the poster said that the work was done by "a highly-recommended licensed electrical company" and the questionable work was pointed out by "a handyman"!

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

The results delivered by any tradesman will be limited by his abilities and by his willingness to bring those abilities to bear on the task at hand. Looks as if the willingness factor was quite low that day.

To use backwoods vernacular, my native language, "sometimes they don't do as good as they know how".

This post was edited by bus_driver on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 16:06

• btharmy
    9 years ago

"dennisgli" said:
    "Interesting comment since the poster said that the work was done by "a highly-recommended licensed electrical company" and the questionable work was pointed out by "a handyman"!"

Highly recommended usually runs in 2 distinct packs around here.

1: So cheap that they are super busy, but never make a dime of profit because they don't charge enough. This forces them into doing shoddy work to make up for their lack of proper pricing.

2: The other highly recommended group is for their quality. Sure, they may be a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Im thinking they hired the first example.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

This isn't a case of shoddy work, it's a case of ILLEGAL work. The code requires the proper conductor lengths and supports for good reason. There's no excuse for this hack job nor for the bogus excuses given as to why it wasn't done right.

• HouseRemod
    9 years ago

Call the electrical company you worked with and show them a picture of what was done and tell them to fix it.

• countryboymo
    9 years ago

I am a DIY'er and that looks like total horse manure. Looks like he tried to scab in a piece of extra wire out of the back of his truck/van that would have otherwise been headed to the scrap bin. I would not let that slide.

• btharmy
    9 years ago

It is almost funny to think this install is being criticized so aggressively by everyone including myself. If it were fished in from box to box with the drywall already in place it would be a perfectly legal installation.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

If it were fished, the STAPLE issue might be overlooked. There are other apparent issues. The wire is just too short (there appears to be less than 4" of it in the box. My guess is they cut a cable that was running elsewhere, removing the staples so they could get a few inches of slack which were NOT sufficient.

What appears completely idiotic is the wall appears torn up to the point of the next connect (the receptacle to the right.
    It would take 10 feet of additional cable and some staples to do this right.

Yes, if they fishing, they didn't need the staples, but mighta coulda doesn't mean a lot.

• rosemint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi,

Just wanted to thank everyone for your valuable comments
    and help. The electrician did come back to re-do the job
    properly. I was smart enough to have my handyman here
    at the same time, to supervise.

Thank you again.

• btharmy
    9 years ago

Your handyman had to supervise your electrician. If that aint backwards, I don't know what is. Time to fire your "electrician".

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

That's what you pay GC's to do. I get testy when I have to go kick the subs to do their jobs when I'm paying a GC as well.