Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recessed Light--Can't Remove!!!

Posted by love2weed (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 07 at 17:58

We have some typical recessed light in our kitchen that I would like to replace with pendant lights. My DH says there is no way to remove them without tearing a big hole in the ceiling drywall. Everyone I talk to says you just pop them out. Would these lights be installed like this or is my DH just trying to get out of a little work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recessed Light--Can't Remove!!!

Depends on the nature of the light. If it was a remodel can you can remove the trim, remove the fixture, unhook the wires (better make sure the power is off) and install a box for the pendant (probably will need to do some finish patching).

If it was a new construction fixture (and you can't get into the space above, like through the attic) then it's going to be harder to do.

o

Why in the world would lights be installed in such a fashion that you couldn't replace it? What if one of these can lights goes bad? What is different about these lights as opposed to some of my other fixtures which my DH has already replaced?

o

Eh? I've never had a recessed fixture "go bad".

I don't know what your husband has been doing in other cases, but a remodel can actually installs through the hole in the ceiling so it can come out that way.

A new construction can is attached to the framing (typically) and the hole is purely to let the light into the space below.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here