Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Going from a ceiling fan to a chandelier

Posted by wishiwasinoz (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 14, 10 at 17:56

I am changing out a ceiling fan in a bedroom to a chandelier. Inside the light box is a black wire, a white wire, a red wire, & a grounding wire.

Excuse my lack of correct terminology --
On the chandelier (bought from CL) is a cord that resembles a regular plug-in cord, though the casing is stripped off & the wires are hanging out about an inch. There is also a grounding wire on the chandelier.

I've tried connecting that wire one at a time to each of the wires in the box, while plugging the un-used wires. When I turn the electricity on, I am not getting any light. I thought it would be as simple as that. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Natalie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Going from a ceiling fan to a chandelier

The ribbed wire in the chandelier goes to white. The other wire in the chandelier's zip cord goes to black or red (probably each one, black and red, is controlled by a separate switch). The bare ground wire goes to the ground wire, obviously.

All must be connected at the same time for it to work (technically not so of the ground wire, but close enough).

Use wire nuts on each connection. If they weren't included with the chandelier, get them from the hardware store. To get the right size, tell the counterperson you need to connect one #18 wire to one #14 wire (again, the situation might be a little different, but this should be close enough).

And if none of this makes sense, might be time to call in a pro. :)

o

not enough info. is there a fan control or are there two switches? For the wires, use ideal tan wingnuts from your electrical distributor.

o

There are two switches to control the fan.

o

Of the two switches, one controlled the fan, the other controlled the light on the fan. Assuming you are not going to remove the extra switch, connect the red and back to the smooth insulated wire from the chandelier and the ribbed one to the white wire. Either switch should then turn on the light.

o

"connect the red and back to the smooth insulated wire from the chandelier ... Either switch should then turn on the light."

Heh. If it were my house I'd flip the switch and the darn light would stay on, because someone had turned both of the switches on! I recommend connecting only one hot wire and leaving the other switch to control nothing, but either way will work.

o
RE re: Going from a ceiling fan to a chandelier

I just checked - red goes to the light switch, black to the fan switch.

o

nec allows wires thicker than 1/0 to be paralelled. prohibits your wires to vbe paralled. you can, however wire it so some of the sockets are on one switch, some are on the other.

o

Pick black & red wire and connect them to black & red, leave the third wire.

Here is a link that might be useful: chandelier

o

my idea is better. in my hall light, i wired one socket on the switch and the other one live. i then used a reducer and screwed a c7 led retrofit into the reducer.

here is what i used. i used the warm whites. they look like a regular nightlight when they have a shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: led retrofits

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here