Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bending 3/0 wire

Posted by ylmzm (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 17:54

I have a 12x12x6 junction box. Two sets of 3/0 wires enter from back-right (see the picture). Each set has three 3/0 wires and a #4 wire. They need turn up and enter the 2" conduits on the top left.

The problem is these 3/0 wires are like bear! I cannot bend them to fit into the junction box. They stick out as seen in the picture. Pulling from top or pushing up inside the junction box did not help. They just don't move or quickly spring back.

Any recommendations? Is changing the junction box my only choice?

They perfectly fit into a 4.5" deep 400 Amp panel, but while connecting the wires to the panel, I had the chance to pull them out and bend as I need. In this junction box, one side is fixed (connected to panel), so I cannot pull it out to bend freely. If I disconnect the wires from the panel to be able to bend, then I am afraid I will have the same problem in the panel.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bending 3/0 wire

Will let you do some of the research. 300.34. The conductor shall not be bent to a radius less than 8 times the overall diameter--.
I get angry and the adrenalin kicks in.

o

It looks like you have too much length to the wires to make the simplest bends. Is there no way to adjust the length at either end?
With more length, you might be able to form full loops.
Having the wire free at the ends in order to twist as you bend them will also reduce the torsional spring action.

o

Thanks everyone. It turns out all I needed was a second person to help me :) With the help of a friend, one person pulling other pushing, we managed to fit the wires into the box. I will try to upload another picture of the final result.

o

That box is NOT big enough and not code complaint.

o

petey_racer, can you please let me know why it is not code compliant? It is definitely deeper than the 400 Amp Square D panel I have. And after pushing the wires in, it did not even have sharp bends. It looks like 300.34 applies to over 600V circuits. So, I don't know which part of code it does not comply.

o

OK, I think I found it, I need min 12 inch space between two conduits, so I need to use a larger box.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here