Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
w0lley32

Do 1875 watts hair dryers really pull the whole 15 amps?

w0lley32
9 years ago

Hi! Shopping for a new hair dryer for my mother, and we're realizing that all decent models are rated at 1875 watts, except cheap "travel models".

Her bathroom circuit has aluminum mixed with copper (joined with Marrette 63's) that even though so far never gave problems since 1990 with her old 1600 watt dryer, I would not take a chance of plugging this into the existing bathroom circuit (which also feeds two bedrooms).

I guess my best solution would be to run her a new circuit straight from the panel only for that bathroom receptacle, and I would be tempted to make that a 20-amp circuit, but I read on other forums that in Canada I am limited to 15 amp circuits, even for the bathroom. Is this still the case in 2014?

Also, would anyone know if these actually draw 1875 watts, or if it is just marketing like those "5 hp peak" ratings on table saws and shop vacs?

Thank you guys!

Comments (8)

• greg_2010
    9 years ago

well at 15 amp circuit will allow about 12amp continuously or roughly 80% of rating
    I don't think that's right. I think you are misunderstanding the "80% rule". A 15 amp breaker will allow up to 15 amps to flow.
    I believe that the "80% rule" is that a circuit that supplies a continuous load must be sized so that it is only using 80% of it's capacity. It isn't that it will trip at 80%, it's that they want a built in safety zone for continuous loads.
    Hardwired baseboard heaters are one example of a continuous load. Something that you plug in is not considered a continuous load (for this rule). If it has a 15amp plug on it, you can plug it into a 15amp outlet.

The 1875 watts may be a peak usage, but I imagine a hair dryer doesn't fluctuate that much.

Regarding the Canada rule, are you sure that it isn't that a 15amp circuit is the minimum and still acceptable whereas in the States a 20amp is the minimum? I can't imagine that Canada prohibits a 20amp circuit.

This post was edited by greg_2010 on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 13:31

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

Beleive me, hairdryers do pull the whole rated power. This is one of the major reasons that bathroom receptacle circuits are required to be 20A. Anybody who has had teenage daughters, knows about them tripping 15A breakers with their hairdryers.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

The hairdryer has a small motor that's almost of no consequence, nearly all the power consumed is for the heater. This isn't the same as a 3HP univeral motor in a vacuum or small tool that really isn't drawing 3HP unless the thing is loaded to the point of stalling the motor.

• w0lley32
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you guys, you confirmed my thoughts. I will run a new circuit from the panel, and for good measure, I would like to make it a 20 amp circuit.

"Regarding the Canada rule, are you sure that it isn't that a 15amp circuit is the minimum and still acceptable whereas in the States a 20amp is the minimum? I can't imagine that Canada prohibits a 20amp circuit."

I was told roughly 15 years ago by a late electrician friend of my father that the CEC indeed prohibits general purpose 20 amp circuits, except for hardwired devices or a single, round, receptacle, that my mother deems unsightly in the bathroom. I have also read on some other forums that I could have a T-slot receptacle, but no code reference. I will try to lookup online if the CEC allows it now. I know they are legal for kitchen countertop receptacles since 2005.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

Sorry, I was answering for the US NEC. Don't know much about Canada.

• PRO
    Hawk & Co.
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My husband owns a Hair salon and yes, he has shorted on 15A dedicated circuits. Best to increase to 20A especially if you are considering a dyson. Hope that helps!

• Ron Natalie
    3 years ago

Anybody who has had teenage daughters knows those things can consume the better part of a 15A circuit. I repeatedly told her that she needed to run that thing in the bathroom (where there was a 20A circuit) rather than her bedroom.