Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dangerous wiring?

Posted by Broker593 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 11 at 17:02

I recently plugged a space heater in to my house, and i notice a buzzing noise coming from the floor boards a few feet from the outlet at which it is plugged in. Is there faulty wiring perhaps? Is this a fire risk?

What is the typical cause of this?

Added info: House was built in 1850, but with lots of renovations over the years. No knob and tube.

Thank you very much for any help you may have to offer!

Broker593

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dangerous wiring?

Buzzing or crackling?

Buzzing could be simply large load (like a cold space heater).

Crackling would indicate an arc from a defect in wiring or insulation.

o

I'm never a fan of space heaters for the obvious risks that they pose. However, "buzzing" generally means something moving, and I can't see how a wire could move enough to cause enough noise for you to hear.

I'd guess that there is something (a doorbell chime, a furnace air damper, bee's nest etc.) buried in the floor that is being affected by the current draw.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I think you need to somehow gain access to that area where the buzzing is occurring, and figure out what it is.

o

"However, "buzzing" generally means something moving..."

I have heard numerous folks describe an electric arc as a 'buzzing' noise.

Smaller arc welders are often referred to as 'buzz boxes.'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here